Upgrades?

Reaction score
Hi-- :)

I'm primarily a PC guy. So I don't know much about Macs.

A friend bought an eMac at a garage sale. It has a PowerPC G4 1GHz processor, 128MB of RAM, a 40GB hard drive, and a combo DVD/CD drive. The hard drive had been reformatted. I was able to re-install the Panther OS with the system restore discs. The original owner also gave us a copy of Tiger OS. I'm guessing that the reason the Tiger OS won't install is due to the fact that the Tiger OS requires 256MB of RAM. The software she wants to use (Adobe CS4 and Autodesk Maya) requires at least 1GB of RAM (preferably 2GB) and a PowerPC G5 processor.

Now for my questions:
  1. Is it possible to upgrade the processor to a PowerPC G5 without buying a new motherboard?
  2. Is the maximum RAM really only 1GB? I know it uses PC133 memory sticks and that there are two slots for memory.
  3. If I can't upgrade the processor to a PowerPC G5 and the memory to 2GB, do you have any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a look at the information about upgrading eMac machines here.

It looks like that some upgrading can be accomplished. Good luck and have fun.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.