deleting iTunes files in Finder

P

pcrap

I recenty acquired World of Warcraft and had to clear some space on my hard disc. I deleted several of my iTunes songs which helped a lot. But I deleted the files through the finder and whenever I go into iTunes all of the deleted songs still show up, even though they dont work because the source is gone.

Does anyone know of an easy way to get rid of all the useless files littering my iTunes.

I really don't want to delete them one by one.

PS-(I appologize for crying about the iTunes music store not being in Canada in the 'iTunes.... motherland...nukes...blah blah thread', because it existed like 3 days later.....ouch)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
in the itunes window, click the first song you want to delete, then hold shift and click the last, all should be selected, or hold command to select several songs one at a time if the way above selects songs you ont want to delete, or if you wanna delet all of them, hit command+A, hit delete, thats it.

OP
P

pcrap

thanks for the help, i never knew about the whole 'command button' option. I was just hoping that there was some way to avoid picking out the files without a source, one at a time. I don't know which ones are without a source, so I have to try each of them one by one, and I have a lot of files to go through. My life would be alot easier if I could do something like this...
file>delete every song without a source file.

But thats just crazy talk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
pcrap said:
thanks for the help, i never knew about the whole 'command button' option. I was just hoping that there was some way to avoid picking out the files without a source, one at a time. I don't know which ones are without a source, so I have to try each of them one by one, and I have a lot of files to go through. My life would be alot easier if I could do something like this...
file>delete every song without a source file.

But thats just crazy talk.
those sourceless songs are marked, arrange by status(view screenshot, left area at the "!",that has no source, arrange by that by clicking the button all the way above that, delete the marked songs.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The column that shows the exclamation points does not sort.

I suggest erasing all of the files in iTunes and selected NO when it asks if you want to put them in the trash. Then go File -> Import and select the iTunes Music Library folder that has all of the subfolders

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.