Locking Folders

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.42 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 70 GB Disk, OSX 10.4.11
Hi, I have a folder that I don't want anyone seeing the contents of. Is there anyway to lock folders so that no one can go in but the one with the password (or something like that)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Use the built-in DISK UTILITY, and make the folder a Password protected Disk Image.

Disc Utility>>>File>>>>New>>>>Disk Image from Folder>>> Find the folder you want to "lock", you'll need to choose the "128" encryption then enter the Password you want to use.

This turns the folder into a .dmg... In order to open it, you/they will need the password.

You can also make a hidden folder, that isn't even seen.

Make a new folder somewhere easy for you to remember... To do this:
1) Open the finder window go into the "Home" Folder (we'll place it there).
2) Right click on an empty part of the finder Window.. select "New Folder".
3) Name the folder.. Let's use "Secret"... Just for fun
4) Now go into the Terminal and type (best to copy/paste) the following:

mv ~/Secret ~/.Secret

Press enter after pasting the command
Note the "." in front of the second folder name

5) The folder and any/all of the contents within it are HIDDEN.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now that the the folder is hidden the easiest way to get back into the contents it open the the Finder window go the the "HOME" folder (see.. No "Secret" folder)... Now press APPLE+SHIFT+G
A Window will roll out of the top of the finder window that Says: "Go To Folder:" Type the following (don't forget the ".") .Secret
press ENTER

Viola... you are in your "hidden" folder, and can now access your... um... stuff. :p

NOTE:
Anyone with a little terminal savvy can use the terminal to find hidden files, so it's not exactly secure... though you could drop an encrypted .DMG image in the hidden folder that requires a password... THAT would be hidden, and secure if found.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

to show the Hidden files using the terminal type (better yet.. copy/paste) the following:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool YES;killall Finder

Then to HIDE the "Hidden Files" Type (again, might want to just copy/paste) the following in the Terminal:

defaults delete com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles;killall Finder

You can also use the Onyx Parameters to "Show Hidden Files"

OP
nforret
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.42 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 70 GB Disk, OSX 10.4.11
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for helping me hide my... stuff. :p

Reaction score
can anyone tell me how i use lamesecure to lock my folders! i cant seem to figure it out...

thanks

Reaction score
Use the built-in DISK UTILITY, and make the folder a Password protected Disk Image.

Disc Utility>>>File>>>>New>>>>Disk Image from Folder>>> Find the folder you want to "lock", you'll need to choose the "128" encryption then enter the Password you want to use.

This turns the folder into a .dmg... In order to open it, you/they will need the password.

You can also make a hidden folder, that isn't even seen.

Make a new folder somewhere easy for you to remember... To do this:
1) Open the finder window go into the "Home" Folder (we'll place it there).
2) Right click on an empty part of the finder Window.. select "New Folder".
3) Name the folder.. Let's use "Secret"... Just for fun
4) Now go into the Terminal and type (best to copy/paste) the following:

mv ~/Secret ~/.Secret

Press enter after pasting the command
Note the "." in front of the second folder name

5) The folder and any/all of the contents within it are HIDDEN.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now that the the folder is hidden the easiest way to get back into the contents it open the the Finder window go the the "HOME" folder (see.. No "Secret" folder)... Now press APPLE+SHIFT+G
A Window will roll out of the top of the finder window that Says: "Go To Folder:" Type the following (don't forget the ".") .Secret
press ENTER

Viola... you are in your "hidden" folder, and can now access your... um... stuff. :p

NOTE:
Anyone with a little terminal savvy can use the terminal to find hidden files, so it's not exactly secure... though you could drop an encrypted .DMG image in the hidden folder that requires a password... THAT would be hidden, and secure if found.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

to show the Hidden files using the terminal type (better yet.. copy/paste) the following:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool YES;killall Finder

Then to HIDE the "Hidden Files" Type (again, might want to just copy/paste) the following in the Terminal:

defaults delete com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles;killall Finder

You can also use the Onyx Parameters to "Show Hidden Files"
Hi there

i tried to password protect one of my folders by doing the above :

disk utility etc.. but when i try to open the file it doesnt ask for a password but it asked for one to lock them with.. did i do something wrong ??

please help!! im really new at this !!

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Hi there

i tried to password protect one of my folders by doing the above :

disk utility etc.. but when i try to open the file it doesnt ask for a password but it asked for one to lock them with.. did i do something wrong ??

please help!! im really new at this !!

thanks

When you created the disk image you left "add this to my keychain" ticked (default), this will auto open the image in some instances

Either create a new image or open up keychain access (in Applications > Utilities) and delete they key for that disk image

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
I use.....

Apimac Secret Folder http://www.apimac.com/

It allows you to password protect your folders and offers a nice easy interface where you can see all your protected folders in one place.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.