My email - hotmail

Reaction score
Helloo,

I have a MacBook Pro since April. Since then, I have been trying to find a way to be able to use all my hotmail account on it. I have three hotmail accounts, all my main accounts.

On my PC I use Windows Live Mail, but it doesn't work on a MAC. I know I can have Windows on my MAC, but why on earth did I get a Mac if I am going to use Windows on it :)

So, my problem is that all programmes I've used so far (MacMail, Thunderbird, etc. etc) download only the INBOX, and not the subfolders (I have around 30 subfolders in each hotmail account). I know that I can manually put all emails into the INBOX, download them as Inbox and then create subfolders and re-arrange them - but this will take me 4 days,at least, not to mention that I won't be able to keep my automatically sorting rules ... so, this is not an option.

I've read that I could use Entourage, but that ... unfortunately, I would have to upgrade to a hotmail plus, and pay around 20 USD /account/year. Again, this is out of question.

What I don't understand is why i can download my hotmail on my HTC phone as a exchange account (I get all the folders, erc), and this won't work on Mac computer ....

So, do you know any way in which I can have all my hotmail accounts on a mac application?

Thanks
ps Microsoft should develop Windows Live Mail for macs too -it's so strange ... they have some features for Macs, but not the mail ...

Reaction score
This article may (or may not?) be of some help to you -- including the link at the bottom of it which discusses fetching folders other than your inbox.

Good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, 15", i7 Quad core, 8gb ram, 750gb, anti glare-hi res screen upgrade
I've just made the PC to Mac switch and was in the same situation as you. After quite a bit of looking around, including on this forum, the easiest solution seemed to be "mBox Mail For Mac":
Fluent Factory: mBox Mail for Mac

You can try it for free for 30 days and if you like it, you can pay $20 for a license to keep using it. It's worked for me - it imports all your folders and your archive emails. Perhaps more usefully, it synchronizes with the Hotmail server, so once you've read an email on one device (I also use a Windows Mobile phone), it shows as having been read on the other. IE if I read and/or delete some emails on my phone, they show as read and/or deleted on my MacBook, and vice versa.

One downside is that emails sent on my Mac appear twice in the sent mail folder on my Mac. I think this is because they are saved on the Hotmail server and also saved by Mail on the Mac. I've yet to find the setting on the Mac which allows me to stop Mail from saving it's own copy. Can anyone advise on that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
Instead of paying, have you thought about switching to a better supported email provider? Most Email Accounts allow easy switching and forwarding along with far better security features than hotmail. Have you thought about going to Gmail? (This is the Email provider in mind when many companies make their programs.)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Instead of paying, have you thought about switching to a better supported email provider? Most Email Accounts allow easy switching and forwarding along with far better security features than hotmail. Have you thought about going to Gmail? (This is the Email provider in mind when many companies make their programs.)

I was going to say the same thing. Hotmail is sort of a relic of a bygone era. It became so commonly associated with spammers that many corporate recipients blacklist the domain entirely. Your predicament makes me think that now may better be looked at as an opportunity to find a better service.

I know it can be tough, but I dumped Yahoo mail for the same reason. I got tired of paying for what I could get free from Gmail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I went from Yahoo! to Hotmail and now I have Gmail. I also recommend dropping Hotmail and just make the move to Gmail. You'll wish you did it sooner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was going to say the same thing. Hotmail is sort of a relic of a bygone era. It became so commonly associated with spammers that many corporate recipients blacklist the domain entirely. Your predicament makes me think that now may better be looked at as an opportunity to find a better service.

I know it can be tough, but I dumped Yahoo mail for the same reason. I got tired of paying for what I could get free from Gmail.

I found the idea of paying a one off fee of $20 easier than losing an archive of email, changing my email details on various website registrations and related mailing lists, contacting a large number of people to tell them about the change and hoping that they all change my details in their address books.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I must be missing something here but as Hotmail is web based what's the problem here? I use Hotmail (with subfolders) on my iMac with no problem at all.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found the idea of paying a one off fee of $20 easier than losing an archive of email, changing my email details on various website registrations and related mailing lists, contacting a large number of people to tell them about the change and hoping that they all change my details in their address books.

I suppose that's true if you can't forward your mail with Hotmail.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I must be missing something here but as Hotmail is web based what's the problem here? I use Hotmail (with subfolders) on my iMac with no problem at all.

They're talking about using a standalone mail client with it - which is a lot more convenient than having to visit a website to view and manage your mail. Apparently Microsoft provides a mail client that can do this without charging a premium - but it's Windows-only.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi there,

And thanks for the ideas :)

I have a gmail account too, 2 yahoos and so on :)

I've been using hotmail for the last 10 years so I don't want to move now.

Maybe you were all :) born MACs, but YES,Microsoft stopped us from using Outlook mail or office for free a couple of years ago and created WINDOWS LIVE MAIL which is basically a kind of Outlook.

It allows you to work offline, have multiple accounts there (not only hotmails, but also anything else -maybe paid yahoo, I don't know).

Jimmy_G, how does mBox Mail for Mac work?

Do I have to install in on the PC too?

20 USD once it's not the end of the world.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
I've just made the PC to Mac switch and was in the same situation as you. After quite a bit of looking around, including on this forum, the easiest solution seemed to be "mBox Mail For Mac":
Fluent Factory: mBox Mail for Mac

You can try it for free for 30 days and if you like it, you can pay $20 for a license to keep using it. It's worked for me - it imports all your folders and your archive emails. Perhaps more usefully, it synchronizes with the Hotmail server, so once you've read an email on one device (I also use a Windows Mobile phone), it shows as having been read on the other. IE if I read and/or delete some emails on my phone, they show as read and/or deleted on my MacBook, and vice versa.

One downside is that emails sent on my Mac appear twice in the sent mail folder on my Mac. I think this is because they are saved on the Hotmail server and also saved by Mail on the Mac. I've yet to find the setting on the Mac which allows me to stop Mail from saving it's own copy. Can anyone advise on that?

I use this as well and it was worth the $20 since hotmail is my primary e-mail account.

By the way, Entourage/Outlook will only read from your Hotmail inbox even if you have hotmail plus as Hotmail is POP3 now and only accesses the inbox. mbox mail for mac is the only tool I have found so far that will give me access to all my sub folders as well.

Additional note, it is working just fine for me in Lion but I have read that there are compatability issues so those may be related to installing it after Lion.

-MikeM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi there,

Jimmy_G, how does mBox Mail for Mac work?

Do I have to install in on the PC too?

20 USD once it's not the end of the world.

Thanks

From a technical point of view - I don't really know how it works. From a user point of view - you need to clear your previous attempted account setups in Mail; download and install mBox, following the instructions that gives you; then set up your account in Mail from scratch. That should see you right and give you the benefits I detailed above. When you start up your Mac, mBox automatically starts up and runs in the background - you won't see it doing its work, you'll just feel the benefits.

If not, you can "submit a support ticket" on the mBox website, or come back and ask questions here.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, you can download it on a 30 day trial first to give you peace of mind. I'm still within the trial period, but will have no hesitation in paying the $20 in a few days time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A question for other mBox users - do you ever see a delay on mail landing in your inbox? I've noticed it a few times. Currently, I can see emails from the last couple of hours on my mobile phone, but they're not in my Mail inbox yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2
Do you recommend G-mail as the best free email provider?

I'm on Hotmail but loathed at the idea of moving across to another as all my bills etc are linked to hotmail.

If I do move to Gmail can i sync it to iMail etc on all my mac's?

C

chas_m

Despite my privacy concerns with Google generally, yes I would say GMail is the best free email provider (until iCloud goes live in the fall).

Yes, GMail can be synced easily with Mail (not iMail) on all your Macs and smart-devices, since it uses IMAP.

You might consider simply forwarding your Hotmail account to GMail, which would make it easier to slowly transition over. Having said that, fair warning: come the fall I will be telling people that GMail is for suckers. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.