OS 10.4.11 Mail app hangs

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have been unable to find a working solution to this problem on these and other forums so far. Here it is: I have a Macbook with Mac OS 10.4.11 and under the original user profile if you click on the mail app it opens but right after it opens it hangs and the raibow wheel will start rotating when you hover the cursor over the app. and it never stops. You have to force quit the mail app. I have tried to delete the mail.plist without success. If you creat a new user and log into that account the mail app works fine. Now before I get a smart-alec response that just tells me to use the other profile, I would prefer to FIX the problem with the original account. Thanks for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Tell us why you can't delete the Mail .plist. Are you the "original user"? Have you used Disk Utility or a third-party application (eg. OnyX) to repair permissions?

OP
R
Reaction score
My mistake, that was confusing. I have successfully deleted the mail.plist file however it did nothing to fix the issue.

However, I did just search through all the mail folders on the HD and removed the mail folder associated with the user profile. I moved it to a backup folder and then opened the mail app. Success! The program will now open and it walks through the account setup again without any hangs. That part works well now.

Thanks for your timely response, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Glad you got there. There's likely something nasty lurking in that previous User's profile mail folder, but what it might be I couldn't say.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.