Encoding issues with Word 2008

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
Today I experienced my first compatibility problem between mac and windows that I can't easily figure out. I sent someone a word (.doc '97-2004) doc created on my mac, and they say that when they try to open it on their pc, they can't because of an "encoding" problem. I moved the doc from my OS X environment to XP via VMWare and "saved as" a new document, without changing any settings. I sent this new document from windows, and the recipient could open it without problem. I use office 2008 on my mac, and office 2007 on XP (Chinese version of both, don't know if that makes any difference), and I notice that there seem to be a lot more preferences related to saving on the XP version, including choosing what encoding to use.

The document in question included both English and French characters.

I thought I understoon encoding as far as email goes, but I don't really understand this problem. Can someone who's had a similar problem put this in simple terms for me, or direct me to a site with a more detailed explaination? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Did you send this by email? Check the attachment formatting settings in your email client.

OP
riverteeth
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
Yea, I did send it by email. But I can't understand why my email client, mail.app, would re-encode the document (a .doc file). And I can't find any "attachment formatting settings" under preferences.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd verify the first one was not a .docx file rather than .doc and you ran into someone that has not installed the converter into their old version of Office yet.

If this is a friend that you can run a test with and have them report back to you their findings - think I'd go into 2008 with the same file, do a save as Test1 in the old format, import that one into 2007 and save as Test2, then send them both. It's possible it was some glitch in the file upload/download and it became corrupted. Happens extremely rarely in my experience, but I have seen it.

edit: I'd do what tech suggests below first

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Yea, I did send it by email. But I can't understand why my email client, mail.app, would re-encode the document (a .doc file).
Macintosh mail clients will often re-encode files to preserve Macintosh metadata when they're sent to other Mac users, unless you tell them not to.
And I can't find any "attachment formatting settings" under preferences.
In Mail, for some reason, the setting is under
Edit > Attachments > Always Send Windows Friendly Attachments.

Mail Help has more information

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.