funny little symbol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
When I unlock my iphone, a strange symbol appears in the top right corner for a few seconds and then disappears.

It looks like three curved lines that make a circle.

Does anyone know what it means?
I've been through the manual but can't see it in there either..

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
Not sure how to take a screenshot from my iphone, but here is a picture I tried to take.

Photo on 2010-07-19 at 12.06.jpg

Reaction score
briefly tap the Home and Lock buttons at the same time, the screen should flash white, and there will be a screenshot in your photo album. time it out so it flashes when the symbol appears.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
Fantastic, thanks!!

The rest of the screen is dark, but you can see clearly the symbol that I mean.. between the battery percentage and the alarm timer.

IMG_0059.PNG

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
What does that mean?

Nobody else I know with an iphone has that symbol either, and it wasn't always there, it's only been the last few days it's shown up.

C

chas_m

It means (if sono is correct) that when that symbol appears, the iPhone is utilizing a service (quite possibly in the background) that needs location data. Like Google Maps for example.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Pro
I haven't read anything that would suggest Apple is using a different location services symbol in Australia. To verify, goto Settings > Location Services > and switch off. If this symbol you're seeing disappears, than you can confirm it was location services and turn it back on. If not, perhaps it's a carrier symbol for call filtering.

Reaction score
I haven't read anything that would suggest Apple is using a different location services symbol in Australia. To verify, goto Settings > Location Services > and switch off. If this symbol you're seeing disappears, than you can confirm it was location services and turn it back on. If not, perhaps it's a carrier symbol for call filtering.

Yeah, I agree. It would seem very un-Apple like to use different symbols (per location) just for location services. That would be very confusing. I can't help you because I've never seen it before so maybe it is specific to an app that you use?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
Thanks, I tried turning the location services off, and it still appeared..

I might delete some recent apps I've put on and see how that goes. Process of elimination :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
i was going to say, may be a 3rd party app.. never seen it on my phone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.