What am I missing here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ok, I have a file that I want to upload to a server. The fils is 509 Mb in size. I open Stuffit 10 and set the compression for StuffitX and ZIP to max compression. I then Stuff the file. Then I separately ZIP it as a comparison. Both the resultant files come out at 510Mb. I thought the point was to decrease the file size through compression. What am I missing here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
If it's a binary file, it may not be able to be compressed any further. Compression works best on text and document files.

I've seen binary files that actually become larger if you try to compress them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
What is the file type? If it's an MP3 or AVI or something, chances are it's a waste of time to try and compress it. The algorithms used to compress the audio and video are sufficiently good that additional compression algorithms just can't do anything and then you have the added overhead of the compressed file header. If it doesn't shrink when compressing it, don't compress it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
MP3 and AVI = binary files.

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.