VOIP for Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I switched to Mac just close to 2 months back and there has'nt been a day that i've not thanked Apple or my good luck for having doing so...

For messaging i'm very happy with Adium and Skype.

But for long distance calling to countries like Spain - Africa - i feel skype is still very expensive. In windows there are programs like voip zoom which allow you to call landlines for absolutely free and mobile phones at extremely nominal charges...

Can anybody suggest a good program that offers competitive pricing for long distance calling and sending sms messages?

Thank you.

(just to share an experience ... last week i was at Singapore airport and working on my mac when a guy comes up and sits across me .... he too opens up a mac. We exchange glances and a very subtle but meaningful smile. We end up talking ... and i land up getting an excellent tip for one of the projects i'm working on .. This kind of thing never happened to me in the last 10 years that i've been using laptops at airports...).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
That's why macs are great ;)

There are quite a few VoIP programs that are mac compatible, a few are as follows: Skype (which you have), gizmo, LoudHush, iChat (preloaded), SightSpeed, Ventrillo, TeamSpeex. The last two are usually used by games, but they work.

As far as prices go Gizmo is comparable to skype, but ive never called africa so i dont know. I'm not so sure on calling prices but i know there is a license you'll have to purchase its like 16bucks USD. iChat is free of course, SightSpeed, from what i know if free? and ventrillo and Teamspeex u probably wont end up using. Hope this helps

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
THANK YOU so much for your reply - very grateful for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
hi Ekim,

i went thru all the programs listed by you ... are there any programs solely for the purpose of calling long distance landlines and mobie phones? And just using the laptop and the net? Without any additional hardware or other complicated settings..? Like voipzoom or 12voip or justvoip?
Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.