Heating vs Battery Life

Reaction score
I downloaded the firmware update for my macbook this weekend, and have had really strange problems ever since. My battery life is about half of what it was before, and my fans run constantly now. I now have at 90% charge only about 1:50 of battery life (versus the 3-4 hours I had just a week ago). It's only about a month old, and I'm careful not to do anything stupid like throwing it around. Also, I'm in a well ventilated area (our library is freezing most of the time). Does anyone know anything about this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Your battery may require re-calibrating after the firmware update, but it does sound more like something is making your CPU spike, which would account for the drastically reduced battery life and the fans spinning.

To fully re-calibrate the battery, do the following:

- Run the MacBook on the battery until it goes to sleep, then allow the machine to fully run down (wait for the front light to stop glowing), which can take 4 - 5 hours.
- When this is done, remove the battery and hold down the power button for at least 5 seconds
- replace the battery, and reconnect to the mains to charge the battery

At this point you can start the machine up again and check, it should say 0% charge and give the capacity as close to 100%. Really, if it's a month old and already showing 90%, you might want to return it and ask for a new battery.

As for the firmware and spinning fans, I doubt what I told you will correct it, but you could also try resetting the PR RAM, done by starting your MacBook by holding Command (apple-key) Option, P and R whilst holding down the power button. It should chime twice when reset.

If all else fails, take it to a genius. Apple staff get snippy about battery complaints, but stick to your guns because a 10% drop in one month could mean an essentially useless battery within 6 months.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I hate it, because I've been dealing with this for the last couple of days, but I seem to have just fixed it completely by luck. Sure enough there was a CPU spike in something I was running (what I don't know). An extra reboot fixed it. Sorry I wasted good space for something so simple. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Thanks for the quick reply. I hate it, because I've been dealing with this for the last couple of days, but I seem to have just fixed it completely by luck. Sure enough there was a CPU spike in something I was running (what I don't know). An extra reboot fixed it. Sorry I wasted good space for something so simple. Thanks again!

No worries. Re-calibrating the battery every couple of months, is generally regarded as good practice though.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.