Deleting files from "Macintosh HD" in finder.

D

Devoidarex

I have two log files created by Microsoft Office and they are in the Macintosh HD folder.

The problem is that I cannot delete or move them in any way. I'm the administrator of this comp (1.2Ghz iBook G4 running OSX 10.3.7).

How can I get these files out of that folder????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
do you get a dialoge or error when you try deleting them?

OP
D

Devoidarex

No, not at all. When in finder, if I try to drag the files into the garbage bin, I just get a copy and the files stay where they are.

Selecting and hitting delete doesn't work and File>cut is grayed out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
try moving them to the desktop, then select them, and cliick File>move to trash, then click Finder>secure empty trash.

OP
D

Devoidarex

Moving them to the desktop only creates a copy on the desktop, leaving a copy in the orginal Mac HD folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats really weird, whats the extension on the files, like .rtf, .txt, etc?try selecting the files, and click File>Get Info, in the get info window, click the ownership tab, make sure it says read & write. also click details, and make sure those all say read & write. if not, try renaming the files, then repair permissions, then restart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.