Hi-Speed FireWire Storage Enclosure 2.5" SSD

Reaction score
i have 2 'SanDisk Extreme 2.5" SATA 6 Gb/s 240 GB SSD's
and i am looking for an internal to external hard drive enclosure that supports TWO SSD's.

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ?

I am running
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to do, but why would you want to use an SSD from a FW external bus? That will just make the SSDs like any other ordinary hard drives operating from an external bus.

OP
S
Reaction score
originally i bought these to install directly into my imac.
in the process of researching methods i spoke to a mac store technician who informed me that my imac will not recognize my sandisk SSD's and eventually my fan will run non-stop and cause unnecessary damage.
he then suggested i look into an "internal to external drive" to house my SSD's.
then i could use a firewire cable and plug it into my imac, he said the performance levels would be similar to if i had installed it directly into my imac.
was i misinformed? or do you have any advice?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You were told correct information. Your iMac (and mine) have a proprietary hard drive with special firmware and temperature sensor. If that drive is replaced by other than the proprietary Apple model, the HDD fan will run full RPM.

However, it's my understanding that when the hard drive is replaced by an SSD and the cable is jumpered the fan will idle normally. The problem with doing that is it voids your warranty. Other World Computing has a turn around program where you can send them your iMac and they will install the SSDs or other Hard Drives and take care of the fan problem.

I don't see how you can attach the SSDs via a FW cable and have them perform the same as if they were installed internally. There's no way the FW bus can match the speed of the internal bus. I understand the part about the internal to external but it's still doing i/o via an external bus.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.