Napster: I will miss you

M

mattberry

I don't know if you guys know, but on Napster you can stream all of their songs for only $10 a month. I am connected to the internet 99% of the time so it is great. So I have some thoughts. Napster is PC only. Is there anything like that for Mac that allows streaming legally? I also do have a copy of Virtual PC that I have never used. Maybe I could use it for this? anyone tried this? thanks,

MattBerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Virtual PC will probably be your only real option as far as Napster is concerned.

Reaction score
I know how you feel, I am switching to mac soon and unfortunately am prepaid for napster up until about February, haha. At least I will be keeping my Thinkpad around, so I guess it will be on stereo duty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
napster is not where its at.

internet radio if u want streaming bad enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Graphite said:
napster is not where its at.

internet radio if u want streaming bad enough.

Exactly...iTunes Radio is where its at. And its free to boot. I personally never understood why anyone would pay to just stream music anyway, but to each his own :headphone

OP
M

mattberry

with internet radio you do not get to choose what music you listen to. I don't care about it needing to be streaming. I just want access to a huge legal database of music for cheap.

OP
M

mattberry

I do understand the complex business model of iTunes. But for me buying 10 songs a month or listening to 100,000 the same way I would do with those 10. I might as well have the 100,000. If you want to burn edit what ever iTunes is better.

OP
Z

zap2

but waht happens when u stoop paying napster??? u lose all the songs me having to pay napster each month turns me off right there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd
If you have a XM Radio, you can log on to xmonline.com and listen for free. I do this and I love it. I think that you can pay less and get just an online subscription though.

OP
U

untoastytoast

zap2 said:
but waht happens when u stoop paying napster??? u lose all the songs me having to pay napster each month turns me off right there

The point of napster is for people to be able to listen to music that they would not ordinarily be interested in, so if they do end up liking it, they can just buy the cd. For example, say you heard an artist on the radio that you liked, you could download their cd from napster, and if you don't like it, you can just delete it, but if you do like it then you can buy the cd.

OP
T

Tel

untoastytoast said:
The point of napster is for people to be able to listen to music that they would not ordinarily be interested in, so if they do end up liking it, they can just buy the cd. For example, say you heard an artist on the radio that you liked, you could download their cd from napster, and if you don't like it, you can just delete it, but if you do like it then you can buy the cd.

I find radio a much better method for finding new music, it works because they play a lot of songs you've never heard but play some you like as well to keep you interested. Without radio, my music library probably wouldn't even be 1/4 of the size it is now, recently its helped me find a lot of decent new bands such as Bloc Party, Kasabian, Maximo Park and bands like Vex Red and frankly, I wouldn't want to listen to any of them based on their name so I doubt I would have found them on Napster.

Plus, iTunes is cheapers than CD's which is great for people like me because I don't own a CD player that works anymore, all of my CD's (almost) are now on my hard drive and iPod, all of my CD's are sitting in a box under my bed.

OP
Z

zap2

untoastytoast said:

so u pay naspter 10 then if u like a song u go spend money on the cd, or listen to music on the radio,and if u like it buy the cd, listen to the radio is cheaper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
each has its advantages. don't forget, napster is also like itunes, u can buy music there too for 99 cents or 79 pence.

napster, however, has and extra option to stream selected music and that is useful for many ppl. i can see itunes heading the napster way coz napster offers both services (dwld & stream.

OP
Z

zap2

for me i'll always buy my songs,but i would like to see a ''pay a mothly fee songs from iTunes'' an also keep the buying songs

OP
M

mattberry

zap2 said:
for me i'll always buy my songs,but i would like to see a ''pay a mothly fee songs from iTunes'' an also keep the buying songs

I agree with you. All I ask is that iTunes add this. I think that would be nice. I'm not telling anyone to stop using iTunes and buying music. I like to pick the songs I want to hear and listen to them right then unlike listening to the radio. It is better than launch pro which is just like customizable radio. For the price of one CD a month I think it's a great deal

OP
J

jack_zack

there is a temporary stupid solution which is preview the songs on itunes library. It's better than nothing!

or use napster on VPC

OP
M

mattberry

that's what started this thread. using napster on VPC. I could use the iTunes preview, but, the problem with the samples is the clip I would pick to listen to is not the clip they choose to play. I'll figure something out. Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.