Superdrive for 12" iBook G4

Reaction score
Hello all.

The Combo drive for my iBook, since I bought it last summer in 2006, has been making odd scratching noises when reading or writing disks. It doesn't seem to affect the actual reading or writing process, but sometimes the sound being generated is annoying. When I took it to a Genius Bar at an official Apple retailer, they told me that these sounds were ordinary operational noises and that they would be unprepared to replace the drive under warranty.

Now that my warranty is almost up and I cannot afford to extend it, I'm considering a manual replacement by myself. When looking on eBay, I came across this drive: Apple W28SA Double Layer Slot loading 8 x Superdrive

The listing claims that this drive is compatible with the "iBook G4" but makes no mention of whether or not it is for the 14" or the 12" which prompts me to ask whether or not it would work seamlessly with my 12" iBook G4. If it would work, I'd prefer to spend the extra cash on this than buying another Combo drive.

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread. I look forward to your feedback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
No, it should be the same connection. Search for UJ-845 (Apple's part #) on eBay. I picked one up for $70 with shipping. I tossed it in my cousins 800MHz G4 12" flawlessly.
Bryan

OP
Z
Reaction score
No, it should be the same connection. Search for UJ-845 (Apple's part #) on eBay. I picked one up for $70 with shipping. I tossed it in my cousins 800MHz G4 12" flawlessly.
Bryan

Thanks for your reply. I'm a little confused though. Are you saying that drive will not work because the connection is the same and I should be looking for the part you've mentioned instead? Or perhaps you meant that the part I have found will work but check that one out anyway?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I was saying no to difference in super drives for the 12" or 14" iBook's.
Can you link me to the drive you are looking at? If it says it works with G4 iBooks, it should. I just found that using the part# I gave, it helped my search for one a lot.
Sometimes people don't know what they're selling on eBay so I try to go by part #'s. That way I know I will be 100% certain I know I am getting what I am actually looking for.
Bryan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.