PBS on web

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been enjoying PBS on my internet connection (mac mini 10.5.8 Firefox).

Suddenly last week a pop-up came on my screen - from PBS - that I must update to Adobe Flash 11.4 in order to watch any of my favorite PBS programs.

My 10.5.8 will not update to the Adobe Flash 11.4. It is limited to the 10.? that is in my Applications.

Does anyone know of a "work-a-round" for this situation? I dislike the idea of going to a higher level OS system on my mini.

I remember a few years back when there was talk of problems in security with Adobe Flash - and there seemed to be another (other) program(s) that worked.

I am anxious to go back to watching my PBS (I don't know why they suddenly - over nite - made my Adobe Flash below standard????

Thank you,

Dennis

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Looks like 10.3 is the last supported version of Flash for Leopard, you need at least Snow Leopard to upgrade to 11.4. If the PBS site needs Flash, there is no real work-around for it unfortunately. You can't spoof the version or anything..so, apart from upgrading to at least Snow Leopard, not sure if you have many options..

OP
A
Reaction score
Leopards in the Snow

Ashwin,

Thank you much for your very helpful reply. I ordered the dvd of Snow Leopard from Apple - it will be here Friday. By Friday nite I'll be back enjoying my PBS dramas and documentaries.

I guess I'll be needing to read how-to upgrade the 10.6 up to the 10.6.8. (Perhaps Apple notifies me automatically on how-to upgrade???? I wonder what progressive steps are required.

Thanks again,

Dennis

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Unless the DVD you got is already up to date, you would just go through a upgrade process to get you from 10.5.8 to 10.6 and then after you boot up, you can either manually start the Software Update from the Apple menu on the top left or have it automatically tell you there are updates. I'm not sure if it will end up going through each consecutive update to get you to 10.6.8 or just do the jump directly.

You can also try the combo updater that will get you up to 10.6.8 in one shot after the installation of Snow Leopard.

OP
A
Reaction score
Snow Leopard - again

Thank you again for your excellent information. I have downloaded the proper software - and getting ready to install it after my 10.6 comes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.