Switching Time Machine Drives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.4GHz
I have let's say HD-A. It is the present Time Machine hard drive. Well, I bought HD-B today, and want it to replace HD-A. How do I do so, and still retain all my current backups? :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First ask yourself how long do you intend to keep the old backups and will an old backup really be useful?

Just put the old Time Machine HDD aside somewhere and don't use it. Attach the new drive and Time Machine will start over by backing everything up again. Whenever you feel you no longer need the old Time Machine backups use Disk Utility to erase and re-format the drive.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.4GHz
My intentions were to sell HD-A because it's not being used anymore, but it'd be nice, for the just in case, to have those previous backups. I've used them before and they come in QUITE handy. Would just hate to have it be "one of those times" you know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.