Cannot remove Searchme from Chrome

Reaction score
Hi there,

Following advice I've picked up online, I've removed the Searchme spyware from Firefox and Safari by doing so in their extensions folders. However, after following the same advice for my main browser, Chrome, I cannot see Searchme under extensions. My home page continues to default to their suspicious-looking yahoo page. How can I get rid of this entirely, for good?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Hi!

It sounds like you need to change your home page.

I am assuming you know how to access the settings page in Chrome since you disabled some extension. If not, it is accessed by clicking on the three horizontal bars in the upper right hand corner at the end of the address bar.

Scroll down to settings and click. Look for "on startup" and look at the third radio button: Open a specific page or set of pages" Click on "set pages"

A pop up window will open. If you move your mouse over the offending url a grey "x" will appear on the right side. Click that to get rid of the offending url. You can also add a new preferred start up page here.

Hope this helps!

Lisa

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi lclev.

Not only have I already removed Yahoo and the weird SearchMe 'tainted' Yahoo link from my Chrome search engines, I've set my preferred engine of Google as my home page. When I open a new tab, I get Google. However, when I open Chrome from scratch, I continue to get the SearchMe Yahoo page. Unlike Safari and Firefox, I can not fix this by removing it from the extensions tab, as it's just not there. This is why I'm a bit stuck here.

EDIT: fixed it now. apologies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.