New to Mac

Reaction score
I just ordered an iMac (21.5"). I have never used a Mac before. Basically being new to Mac, are there any must have software out there? What software is popular among Mac user? Thanks in advance!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of help here.

But, the first thing to learn is to stop titling every thread "New to Mac". An appropriately named title will help draw those that have the answer to your question to your thread.

Enjoy your new computer!

OP
A
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of help here.

But, the first thing to learn is to stop titling every thread "New to Mac". An appropriately named title will help draw those that have the answer to your question to your thread.

Enjoy your new computer!

ummm...
Thanks.

C

chas_m

Your Mac will come pre-loaded with most everything you need to get going. I'd recommend having a look at the tutorials on Apple's web site, specifically Mac 101 and Switch 101 to help you hit the ground running. Also take a look at the incredible iLife Tutorials.

This forum has a sub-forum called Switcher Hangout where you're also likely to get lots of great advice for your question. Like everyone else here I can think of a dozen apps you may enjoy, but first and foremost you should probably stick to the applications that are included with your machine and learn "the system" and the basics first.

Welcome, and have fun!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
"Must have" software varies with the user. You'll have to specify what it is you do with your computer to get a useful answer to that. If you're looking for cool stuff to customize your Mac, there's plenty of that too, but it's not essential.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Running Snow Leopard out of the box
Well, what I often do when I'm searching for cool mac software is check the mac downloads website (Apple - Downloads). Just click all downloads on the bar on the right, then all categories just below it and scroll through the list that pops up. One app I can recommend off the top of my head if you got the Wireless magic mouse is MagicPrefs (MagicPrefs). It's great for configuring your mouse to use multiple actions. However, these guys are right. You should get used to the amazing apps that come with your mac first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
These sites have some useful stuff IMO, look here and here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
For many people, a basic productivity suite like iWork or Office is one of the first orders of business. Other than that, as stated above the Mac comes with a lot of stuff out of the box... and the rest depends on your needs.

Enjoy your new Mac. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.