Disabling a Late 2012 iMac 27" display

Reaction score
So I have this iMac sitting on my desk where the display is broken. And by broken I mean it was stabbed by a forklift. It has been sitting around for a while and they told me to take it apart to see if I can do anything with it. Well the good news is that it has been functioning fine besides the screen. I have a small monitor hooked up to it and have it set to mirror the displays.

I am wondering though if there is a way to disable the display of the iMac. Since the display is still connected it is seeing the iMac display as the primary. I have tried running the iMac with the display taken off which works but then the fans spin at full speed as the temp sensors seems to be on the back of the display.

I was hoping someone had an idea on how I can get this to work without the iMac display attached or if I can somehow completely disable it.

Main reason for me wanting to disable the iMac display is so I can dual monitor for parallels. I can't dual monitor if I can't make one of external monitors a primary.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have tried running the iMac with the display taken off which works but then the fans spin at full speed as the temp sensors seems to be on the back of the display.

If by "taken off" you mean disconnected. Given the results you had (fan issues)...this would not seem to be the solution.

In order to make an external display the "primary" display...here's what to do (external monitors attached):

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- Display

In the Display Preferences window you will see the virtual arrangement of your monitors. On the graphical representation of the iMac display...you will see the "Menu Bar" at the top. Click & drag this menu bar to the external monitor you want to be your "primary display". Now it will be the primary display as long as it's attached to the iMac.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
If by "taken off" you mean disconnected. Given the results you had (fan issues)...this would not seem to be the solution.
Yes I had the iMac display taken off completely I was checking to see if anything was damaged internally. Luckily the forklift it it near the webcam and there is a fairly large void there. wish there was some way to get the pinout for the monitor connectors to try and get the fan sensor working but keep the monitor disabled.

Click & drag this menu bar to the external monitor you want to be your "primary display". Now it will be the primary display as long as it's attached to the iMac.
Awesome thanks I did not know you could drag that menubar over. The only thing I would be concerned about now is having the mac seeing the iMac display as part of the extended desktop.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The only thing I would be concerned about now is having the mac seeing the iMac display as part of the extended desktop.

It still will. But if you manage things properly by keeping everything on the external display...you should be ok. I do this very thing with my 17" MacBook Pro with an external 30" display.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
If anyone wants to see it I took some pictures
imac.jpg

You can see the back is actually bent from the impact
imac-damage.jpg

There is packing tape on the front of the monitor when I was trying to take the screen off just moving it around was dropping shards of glass all over my desk. so it was a precautionary measure.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I think it's pretty amazing it still works.

Someone should make a vid of that with the forklift running into it and then still running - that'd be a lot better than the blend an iPhone vids. Need a shot of the reaction of the iMac's owner seeing it happen.

Wonder if that would be covered in an accidental damage policy...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.