• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Lost data legal question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac & MacBookPro
Last week when I bought leopard I also purchased from my local Apple Centre a Lacie external HD which I used to temporarily copy some work onto whilst I made space for the OSX installation, as my other external HD was full. Everything went fine but a couple of days later when I went to retrieve the data the HD would not mount.

I took it to the Apple centre and after a few days they said it was broken and they could not get any data from it.

So basically I bought a device for backups and it broke within days leaving me without my RAW backups and client work.

So what can I do about it if anything? Can I claim for anything? Clearly my RAW photos are gone forever but what about the work I have to remake for my clients? I am not into suing people but I'm seriously annoyed with the whole thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No.

If you are using a device for anything work related it is part of your job to make sure you have copies in duplicate and triplicate. Sure it's annoying - and doubly so with a new device, but it's most definitely a risk you took and your fault.

Can you sue a car maker when your car breaks down and you miss an appointment?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
x2. You cannot take legal action against Apple and expect to win. HOWEVER, you do have another option to recover your data. There are hard drive recovery firms which specialize in recovering lost data from a "crashed" or damaged hard disk. It's not cheap, but depending on what you lost you might want to consider it as an option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
The trick with data loss is to have it stored in multiple places first. Liability law is generally interpreted so that the vendor is liable for the replacement of the item in question, and not the data that it had no part in creating.

As far as data recovery goes, that's something I'd strongly recommend leaving to the experts. If the Apple Center guys did anything that would cause data to be written to that drive, there is a very good chance that your original data has been destroyed.

The best tools for the job involve computer forensics equipment that actually gives you the ability to physically read the drive surface without writing to the drive at the same time - a write-blocker is the technical term. If they just stuck it in a USB/Firewire enclosure, you may be SOL. Find a computer forensics expert near you and ask them about this. You may even find a kindred Mac user, who is able to do this for you on the cheap.

Good luck,
Perry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.