Software won't download/update

Reaction score
Please help, my wife and I have been pulling out our hair over this and cannot seem to figuire it out. We have a 2010 Imac, 2009 powerbook laptop and an internet connected Sony blu ray dvd player that are all having the same issue. We can access the internet but cannot download anything. I was on the phone with our internet provider and it seems that our internet connection appears to be fine. But we cannot download any flash update player for our computers, security updates, applications, you name it we can't get it to download.
Also, we recently have the same issue with our blu ray player which we recently connected via wifi and direct ethernet connection. It says a software update needs to take place to access our netflix, amazon prime and other viewing apps. Everything appears to download and then we are met with an error message saying "There is a problem with your network connection, please try again later." On our computers we get a similar message which reads "one or more of the files may be corrupted during downloading and cannot be opened." I've checked to make sure all of our firewalls are turned off. Our internet provider did the standard over the phone network tests and it appears to be fine. I CAN download a small picture online and save it to my desktop as well as a free podcast through itunes. But any larger or compressed file such as security software update or free download of music via another website from a vinyl purchase will not work. Charter says our hardware is the issue, but how can this be if all three devices are having the same issue?

Help me friends, i've never been more frustrated over anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
To know for sure if it's a network issue vs hardware, can you take the Powerbook, or even the iMac to another hotspot and see if it will download anything on a completely different network? Maybe a neighbors home for convenience?

OP
D
Reaction score
We took our Imac into the local Citymac as it turned out our hard drive had been recalled and we thought that was the issue. newly replaced hard drive and everythign downloaded fine at their hotspot. Also, we don't have this issue with the laptop when we use it at other locations, only at home over wifi and direct connect.

Coudl there be a defect in my modem/router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It is definitely a network issue... I assume that one of the very first things the ISP instructed was to reset/power-off your modem and router... So if you've done that, and still no downloading, the easiest things would be to have them replace the Modem & Router and start fresh.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.