problem with OWC 1.0TB NewerTech miniStack U3/eS/FW

Reaction score
The drive case is really slick but every since I hooked this drive up to my computer via firewire 800 I've been having problems. Everything gets slower and slower and slower and I have to reboot about every two days as things become almost completely non-responsive. I bought the drive genious software during the recent sale and it reports no problems with the drive during a rebuild. Now I'm scanning for bad blocks and it says it will take 410 days which seems a tad bit excessive. Any thoughts on what might be going on and what I can do about it?

Prior to running this test I ran a speed test and managed 50-60mb/sec which I'm told is normal speed for firewire 800.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OWC has free technical support via their 800 toll free number. Give them a call and speak to one of their techs. There may be a problem with the drive or the way you're using it. If the drive is defective, they will replace it with another.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
^^^ Yep, my experience with OWC support has been just near excellent.

Don't know for sure the drive is bad, but sounds exactly like what happened to all of my first gen WD green drives - 4 of them, WD replaced one at a time over the course of a year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.