Upgrading to 10.5

Reaction score
I have a macbook running 10.4, but I am buying a new laptop soon. Will it be possible for me to use the OS X 10.5 install disk from the new laptop to upgrade my old one. I'm thinking for backup purposes. Will data from the old laptop be erased?

Reaction score
As far as I know, you can't. You would need the retail Leopard disc as the install discs are computer specific. So for instance, I couldn't use my Mac Mini install discs to reinstall Leopard on my iMac and vice versa.

M

MacHeadCase

If we momentarily put aside the obvious EULA violation to the question... No you will not be able to use that disk, because these disks are hardware specific.

You'll have to buy a full retail install OS X Leopard disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
If you buy the family pack of leopard you can install it on up to 5 - i bought this version and have so far installed on 2 - there are no serials involved. I know your saying you want to install it from disks that came with your other mac. As macheadcase said, no you cant.

If you are on the wrong side of the law you can install the single copy on as many as you like as again there are no serial, but here at mac forums we dont recommend this and i wouldn't recommend it.

Hope this helps
Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.