looking to buy Ip4, does bumper fix it????

Reaction score
So im looking around here and there is just way to many threads on the new iphone4 its hard to keep up. For those that have the bumper on their phones, does it really indeed cure the issue with the reception? Ive got a ip2 right now and its becoming problematic, taking forever to start apps like the ipod, phone, safari and a bunch of other stuff. normally my signal strength is usually 2-3 of 5 bars. im worried that if i get this new ip4 ill have issues.

C

chas_m

1. Not everyone has the so-called issue.

2. For those that DO have it, the bumper (or any case really) fixes it.

Buy with confidence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
I've had my iPhone 4 since July 8th, and haven't had a single issue with it. Even before I put my cover on it, I didn't have any reception issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook black 2.2 GHz, 4Gb Ram - iPhone 4
i got my IP4 july 8 as well, and never had a problem. still no case... however, my bumper is on the way. not to fix the issue, but it was free, and i like the look it gives the iphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
only had mine since saturday-evening, and so far with some hard trying i was able to reproduce this "issue" once, so i say in my case (no pun intended) i say it's a non-issue.

like ericg2000, i also ordered the Apple bumper 'cuz it's free and i'm hoping it'll keep the glass from surfaces where i put the phone, so it's rests on the bumper.

Reaction score
Have had my Iphone 4 for 3 weeks and have had no reception issues. I do not use a case

Don't buy into the fear mongering.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
I can't reproduce the "issue" on my new 4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I was able to reproduce the "issue" initially with my wife's iPhone 4. Interestingly, since resetting the carrier settings and replacing the SIM (she eventually started getting the NO SIM error), she not only gained a bar, but I cannot make it drop a call now. I probably could if we were in an area that has a mere bar of service to start with, but then you would with any phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.7 GHz Mac Pro, 30" HD cinema display, 12 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM
No problem with mine either. In fact, if I wrap my hands around the phone the bars increase in number. I did however install a lexan skin mainly to prevent scratches.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I can replicate the "issue" on my HTC Droid Incredible on Verizon, even with the case on. It is definitely not unique to the iPhone 4.

As much as Steve might have come off like a jerk when he said it, sometimes you DO have to move your hand a bit to strengthen the signal. I'm convinced that it's just the nature of cell phones. The difference with the iPhone 4 is that it's been so highly publicized and the weak spot is very evident just by looking at it.

Reaction score
So im looking around here and there is just way to many threads on the new iphone4 its hard to keep up. For those that have the bumper on their phones, does it really indeed cure the issue with the reception? Ive got a ip2 right now and its becoming problematic, taking forever to start apps like the ipod, phone, safari and a bunch of other stuff. normally my signal strength is usually 2-3 of 5 bars. im worried that if i get this new ip4 ill have issues.

I think in areas with poor signal quality a bumper might help a little. My experience in my home calling area:

Before iOS 4.0.1 = 5 bars on iPhone 3G and iPhone 4
After iOS 4.0.1 install = 3-4 bars on iPhone 4

With no case and lightly holding the phone in "that area" it will slowly drop 1-2 bars. Holding my palm or one finger against "that area" drops 2-3 bars very quickly but it usually keeps 1 bar showing. If I am talking on the phone and touch "that area" the caller on the other end no longer is able to hear me. I remove my finger (or palm) and they can hear me again.

With the bumper and lightly holding the phone in "that area" it fluctuates from 3-4 bars. Now if I press hard with my palm against "that area" I can get the bars to drop to as low as 2 bars sometimes one bar. If I am talking on the phone and touch "that area" the caller can still hear me, no attenuation.

So it some what does help with a bumper if you hold it in a way that forces your skin to touch "that area." Again signal strength is going to be a major contributing factor and I guess the AT&T signal in my home calling area is a little weak for the signal to drop like it does if my iPhone doesn't have a case on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.