• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

YouTube Compression Quality & iMovie

Reaction score
I've posted about this before, but I was away for a long period of time and the topic is no longer here.

My YouTube videos have terrible video quality, and I have no idea why. I've tried several different suggested settings, and to no avail.

Here are my current settings:

Expert Settings ---> Movie to Quicktime Movie ---> Options

Video Settings:

Compression: H.264
Quality: High
Key Frame Rate: 24
Bitrate: 1740 kbits/sec
Frame Reordering: Yes
Encoding Mode: Multi-Pass
Dimensions: 320x240

Audio Settings:

Format: AAC
Sample Rate: 32.000 kHz
Channels: Mono
Bit Rate: 40 kbps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 - 17" - 4G RAM - 150G HD
youtube doesnt use the h.264 codec, nor does it have the flv 8 codec. Youtube isnt a god website for videos tbh, if its something you wnt to show family and friends your much better off loading it onto websites like vimeo or stage6 etc

If you MUST upload to youtube just dont use h.264

OP
E
Reaction score
youtube doesnt use the h.264 codec, nor does it have the flv 8 codec. Youtube isnt a god website for videos tbh, if its something you wnt to show family and friends your much better off loading it onto websites like vimeo or stage6 etc

If you MUST upload to youtube just dont use h.264

Youtube has always used h.264. At least to my knowledge, because that's what everyone on the web suggests using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
First, YouTube does accept H.264 video. At least in a .mov file.

I've writting my own guide on what I've done recently. See Preparing Video for YouTube on my Guides page.

I had great results from some 25 year old video recently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Check your account settings on the YouTube website. There is a Quality ~ Speed settings. You may have it on low quality.

Reaction score
Here are the settings I use regularly. To make it easy, I bolded the differences from yours:

Video Settings:

Compression: H.264
Quality: High
Key Frame Rate: 24
Bitrate: 1000 kbits/sec (or 1500 kbits/sec if video has many motion shots)
Frame Reordering: Yes
Encoding Mode: Single-Pass
Dimensions: 320x240 (letterbox to preserve dimensions)

Audio Settings:

Format: AAC
Sample Rate: 46.000 kHz
Channels: Stereo
Bit Rate: 24 kbps

Believe it or not, going overkill on the video quality with the H.264 settings can actually result in a choppy video. (I often have this problem when I select Multi-pass.) I'm not sure why, it could be that my computer (PB G4 1.67 GHz, 1GB RAM) can't keep handle the video encoding at high settings. I'd love to see Apple release a Pro system with a dedicated H.264 encoder chip, as there were rumors about a while back. It would cut down on encoding time immensely and free the CPU for other processes.

Anyway, hope this works for you. To see an example of the quality I get with this on youtube, check out my latest vid, it's an Apple parody, so enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAyBaNwDX8c

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Check your account settings on the YouTube website. There is a Quality ~ Speed settings. You may have it on low quality.

I just checked. That setting seems to be for download only. Still, a handy thing to know as it can affect what one sees from the site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Believe it or not, going overkill on the video quality with the H.264 settings can actually result in a choppy video. (I often have this problem when I select Multi-pass.) I'm not sure why, it could be that my computer (PB G4 1.67 GHz, 1GB RAM) can't keep handle the video encoding at high settings.
Your computer shouldn't have any issue with multi pass encoding. It should only take longer than say an 8-core Mac Pro.

What kind of choppy playback are you seeing? Is this as you view it from YouTube, or the .mov file you created? I've noticed choppy playback from YouTube and I've found I need to leave Safari alone from doing anything else. I've download said video to my Mac and played back the .flv file with no choppy results, so that suggests to me that it is something to do with the browser.

I'd love to see Apple release a Pro system with a dedicated H.264 encoder chip, as there were rumors about a while back. It would cut down on encoding time immensely and free the CPU for other processes.

To gain encoding speed, you can buy something like the Elgato Turbo.264.

Here are two reviews at the L.A. Final Cut Pro User Group. Review 1. Review 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It happens in the .mov file, but not when I do single pass encoding.
Weird. Try a frame rate of 15 or 30 (29.97).

Sometime back I tried making a video presentation of stills using 24fps. The result looked a little choppy to me. When I tried those other two frame rates, the results were more pleasing to me. I'll try to remember to try single pass encoding next time to see if the result is different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.