redesigning my website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Hello all. I am trying to redesign my website which I originally created with frames. I want to have a header that STAYS at the top of the page when you scroll down, but everything else scrolls. This is the effect I got with frames, but is it possible with iFrames? I thought that's what would happen, but I found that the whole page scrolls.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can create the same effect with just simple CSS. I loathe farmes, iframes and the rest..just messes up pages to no end. :)

Fixed header shows how to fix any part of the website (header, sidebar on either sides, and footer). Where possible always use CSS to layout your websites, this will GREATLY simplify your HTML code and allow you to make changes to layout by manipulating the CSS file easily..

Regards

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, CSS is not my strongpoint, but I'll try it.

Reaction score
This is a barebones template for you. You would need to change heights and widths. The wrapper has a relative position so that if you use an absolute position inside any of the divs, they will be absolute to the wrapper and not the body.

CSS:
Code:
/* GLOBAL */
body {margin:0px;}
.wrapper {margin:0 auto;padding:0;position:relative;width:960px;}
div#hrd {height:300px; }
div#subBody {height:600px; overflow:scroll;}

HTML:
Code:
<body>
<div class="wrapper">
    <div id="content">
         <div id="hdr">Header goes here</div>
         <div id="subBody">Scrollable content</div>
    </content>
</div>
</body

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Hmm, CSS is not my strongpoint, but I'll try it.

Understood, but know that XHTML/CSS is THE way of laying out webpages these days. Visit any website and take a peak at the sources and you'll see a number of CSS files being loaded to handle layout. The number of things you can do with CSS and the latest generation of browsers is absolutely amazing. So it's definitely a worthwhile thing to learn since it's no fad..

Regards

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi all. Sorry to reactivate an old thread. Finally I am making an attempt to do this with a fixed header. I'm not quite sure what it is that I'm doing wrong. I have pasted the above CSS code into the top of my style sheet and the HTML code into my HTML page. What's the problem? All I get is my header text (not in a header) and my content text below it.

Appreciate any and all help.

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.