G5 1.6mHz - Using PC3200 400mhz Ram in a G5 that runs PC2700 333Mhz

Reaction score
I have a first release G5 1.6Mhz Power Mac that is in dire need of some more RAM. It currently has 768Mhz of PC2700 333Mhz DDR-SDRAM. I bought some cheap ram of the same speed the other day which my machine certainly didn't like. It was crashing every hour or so. The shop I bought it from won't refund me but will change it for something else. The problem is they don't have any other RAM of that speed etc. I noticed they have Crucial PC3200 400mhz DDR-SDRAM which is just a fraction more expensive. Can I use this RAM in my machine? I have read in places that this is possible. I don't care if it doesn't run at the higher speed - I just want to know if it is compatible.

Thanks for your help!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am assuming you have tested the RAM to verify it was the problem.
If the RAM is bad, and this "shop" refuses to replace bad RAM you just bought from them, would not do any more business there, and would let them know that my word of mouth will let everyone else I know that they do not back the products they are selling. This is an unacceptable practice. Most of these smaller shops (at least in larger cities) are purchasing their RAM from a local wholesaler. While they may not have any more sitting in their shop, they should be able to take back what they have purchased from them in exchange for new. That is unless this is used memory, they took in trade from someone without testing and now they are trying to pass their bad business practice off on you.

If they are willing to give you the more expensive RAM at an even exchange, then yes, this should not be a problem - assuming it has the correct # of pins. It will just run at the slower speed of your machine. I have used higher rated RAM in several systems I have built for overclocking purposes. Charging you more money to replace defective hardware they have sold is totally unacceptable.

On the other hand, if the RAM is not bad (and since I don't know why you were looking for replacement to begin with, like same issue with your old memory), you need to look at other issues causing the crashing.

OP
P
Reaction score
I live in France. Consumers have no rights here. I have called the consumer advice line here and what the shop is doing is perfectly legal. If I buy the faster RAM it will cost me slightly more and I will have to pay.

I am buying more RAM because my system just doesn't have enough for what I do. I am a graphic designer and whilst my machine still works - it's just too slow and a new machine isn't an option at the moment.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Still, bound to be someplace where you can buy memory, that will do a straght exchange if it is bad. What happens at this shop if you get the faster memory and it is bad. What, there is no such thing as warranties in France?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Well, not to step on anyone's nuts here, but it's really up to the consumer to make sure the memory is compatible before purchasing it. I'm not saying that the shop shouldn't take the memory back, because that is totally back-a**wards, but I can see where they're coming from. Any memory I've purchased at a local small computer shop I was able to take back no issues.

Also, you can use PC3200 in your G5; it will just automatically run at the lower PC2700 speed. You may also want to install the memory in pairs since the G5 has a dual-channel memory controller.

You also have to be careful using cheap memory with dual-channel memory PCs because they tend to be much pickier than standard PCs. What kind of memory is in there now? If it's 768MB I'm assuming you have 1X 512MB and 1X 256MB or 3X 256MB. Also check that Apple document linked to above. If you have more memory in one channel than in the other you may run into problems. You basically want both banks of memory to match for optimal dual-channel operation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Most PC motherboards will let you use 400Mhz clocked down to 333 - must be a Mac thing.

I'd just stick the whole lot on ebay and buy a brand new 1Gig stick of 333Mhz DDRII, or failing that 2x 512Mb of the same brand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.