transfer startup disk to new drive

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to upgrade my boot up disk on my Mac Pro from 250G to 750G. I want the exact same startup volume on the new drive -- what is the best way and/or software to transfer my drive from one to the other (I have 4 bays, so physically it's not an issue). I've been told that SuperDuper! is good software to clone one drive to another.

Does anyone have input on this, or other software they recommend.

Thanks for the help!

OP
T
Reaction score

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have used both and they seem to work well. Even the free version of SuperDuper will clone the drive so you've got nothing much to loose by downloading both and seeing which you prefer.

I think I have read something recently where cloning does not copy the Lion recovery partition. I'll see if I can find that again.

OP
T
Reaction score
I used CCC last night, and everything seems good. Thanks for all your help

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad to hear it. One suggestion used on personal experience. No matter what program you use to clone your drive boot from the clone at least once and check to make sure things are working properly.

I did a clone of my Mac Pro once and did not test it. When something went wrong and I needed the clone it got as far as the login window but would not take the password. It has only happened once but taught me a lesson.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.