Please help me w/my font problem!

Reaction score
Hello my fellow Mac users! :) I hope you can help me out!

I was so lucky to be given a Mac mini for use at my home from work. (I have a pc--guess which comp I'm using! ;-) )

The thing is, I am having problems with the default font (or something) going online. The font is almost unreadable. If I go to aol.com, the headlines are in a font that is COMPLETELY crazy--I can barely read it. In any other program, like InDesign, it is fine.

Does anyone know how I can figure out how to change the weird "default" font? I use Firefox and IE and it is showing up in both. I am pretty good with computers so I went into the preferences to change it but it didn't do ANYTHING! It seems to override a certain widely used font because some portions of pages look great, as they should. It is sometimes a "headline" or "title" of a line.

Any ideas? Any suggestions would be great--thank you in advance! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4g, 4gb Ram | iPod Touch 8GB
not sure what you mean by COMPLETELY crazy.

in firefox, click firefox>preferences>content and you can adjust the fonts there for firefox. click the advanced button, and you can unselect "allow pages to choose thier own fonts", as well. it takes some playing around, but you should be able to get things looking right.

OP
S
Reaction score
Tried...

Yeah, I did try that before and just tried it once again and still nothing! What I mean by the font being crazy is the font is barely readable--they are outlines of a font, as in an "o" with an "O" around it, almost as if it was hollowed out. This is driving me crazy! I can't go to any sites, like aol.com and see headlines in a regular font like Arial or Times. Please help me, somebody! I am not sure if it is my browser of that darn font! Ugh!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.