Changed HD in iMac; now monitor does not come on

Reaction score
I recently opened my iMac (circa 2008) and replaced the hard drive. Closed everything back up, turned it on, everything seemed to power up, but monitor did not come on. Opened everything again, replaced the old HD and left the case open while powering up. Everything works, but no image on the monitor. Ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take notice that in the steps given at ifixit, there are several cables and connectors that have to be removed that are related to video and the LCD. I would go back and check to see that they were correctly reinstalled and especially not damaged in the process.

It's possible a connector was damaged or a cable not pushed back in to its socket connector far enough to make good contact. Also, ribbon cables are easily damaged if they're twisted or bent too far.

OP
R
Reaction score
I checked all the connections, and they seem good. When you change hard drives in the iMac, are there any 'key strokes' or 'key combinations' that need to be done when starting it anew? This is very frustrating.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No. The only possibility that I can think of which would prevent the screen from coming on I've already mentioned in my previous post. It's possible that either a connector was damaged or a video cable. Sometimes it almost impossible to spot that kind of damage. And may not have been your fault. As a machine ages inside due to heat build up, cables get brittle and connectors begin to separate.

Remove the front display panel again but try to keep all wires and cables intact if possible. Make sure nothing hot gets grounded and turn the machine on. Then gently wiggle the cables and connectors from the display to the logic board. You may be able to find out that way.

OP
R
Reaction score
OK, thanks for the info. I will check everything again. Just noticed you were from FW. I'm in Cedar Hill.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.