Mac Binary Calculator

Reaction score
Ok, maybe Im not using it correctly but Im trying to use the mac calculator on my macbook air in. Windows version seems to work far easier to convert a decimal number into binary.

I go into programmer mode and for example, I cant seem to convert 209 into binary...

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Which calculator? I just went over to dashboard where I have one of the scientific calc gadgets - and typed in 209 then used the drop down box to switch to binary and it gave me the correct answer.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yep, just downloaded the pemdas widget. I dont use those widgets often, not too keen on them. In search of a good app for doing binary....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I use the shell (specifically bc) for these kinds of equations.

For instance.
Code:
Mikes-iMac: mike$ echo "ibase=10;obase=2;209"|bc

But I work all day, every day, in either a korn or bash shell (generally korn), so having another window open for simple calculation is redundant for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.