Font Book not recognizing fonts

JPD

Reaction score
Font Book stopped recognizing most of my fonts a while ago. I can't remember if it first happened when I switched to Leopard or if it happened before then, but I'm getting pretty annoyed and I want to do something about it.

I have over 4000 fonts installed in the Mac HD library. If I'm in Photoshop or any other Adobe application, I can see and use all of them. If I open up Font Book to browse through them all, as I prefer to do, only 600 or so show up.

I read on another forum that you could dump the preferences for Font Book and that might help, but it didn't work. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

JP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
4000 fonts in font book is a bad idea, it's not up to that sort of task

This one has been asked before so I will give you the solution I have posted before

If you are going to start loading quite a few fonts, font book is not the best app, the free font explorer is much much better

http://www.linotype.com/fontexplorerX

If you really want to manage your fonts well I suggest the suitcase (another font management tool - not free) guide (the guide is free)

dl.extensis.com/downloads/ SC/EN/P/Fonts_Best_Practices_in_OSX.pdf

Just substitute use Suitcase with use Linotype FontExplorer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.