Problems installing SimCity 3000 on Mac OS 9

Reaction score
I just downloaded SimCity 3000 onto my G3 Panther. It has 10.3.9 (default) and Mac OS 9 installed. In the folder I was provided it included 6 files, 1 BEFORE YOU INSTALL.rtf, 1 SimCity3000 Installer (document), 1 Quicktime Installer (folder), 1 SimCity 3000 (folder) and 1 torrent receipt.

I clicked the BEFORE YOU INSTALL item and a text document appeared and this is what it said:

PLEASE NOTE:

1) Just open this folder and keep it in your hard disk or burn it on a CD.

2) Click on "SimCity3000 Installer" and it should do the rest.

3) Enjoy!

P.S. This game was initially designed to run on Mac OS 9 (classic) and it works only with that version. In order to run the game you need to install OS 9 in your current OSX (can be Panther or Tiger) and once installed, it will open as a simulator.

If you don't know where to find it, try to check on your Mac OSX installation CD that came with your computer and it should be there.

I tried double-clicking the Installer, but says "There is no default application specified to open the document 'SimCity3000 Installer'," and then prompts me to select an application.

Nothing I know of can open a document from Mac OS 9. I tried starting up Classic and then opening it, but nothing changed.

What am I doing wrong? I really want to play this game!:\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
boot the entire machine in to os 9

start up and press the option key, you should get the option to boot in to panther or os 9

boot up OS 9 and run the installer not from classic, but while in OS 9 itself

OP
M
Reaction score
I tried that, but I get an go button (arrow), restart button (curved arrow), and the symbol of my harddrive with an X next to it. Does this mean my only option is OS X? If so how do I change that? I know I have Classic and I have a OS 9 System Folder. And I supposed to have an OS 9 Harddrive too?

Pardon if these are stupid questions, I'm more software oriented.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OK, in os x system preferences

there is an option start-up disk

do you get he option to start from os 9 from there?

Should be 9.2.1

PS If you boot from os 9, to get back to OS X, the option is in OS 9's control panels under the apple menu

OP
M
Reaction score
Alright I got to the OS9 screen and I tried opening the installer, but it says it can't open it because I don't have the program the Installer was written in. Would anyone know what that was and where I can download it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
The installer should be an application however something has gone wrong in the transfer and something is messed in the datafork.

If you downloaded it on a PC and then transferred to the mac uncompressed it probably messed it up. I would suggest getting it again and preferably on the mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.