• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Hum...

M

moosegoose

Ok, starting college next year and...I need a Mac (based of the fields of study that I am going into AND the fact that they are far superior to pc's in these fields as well as the fact I want one).

So, I was thinking that since the new Mactel's weren't as fast as they were supposed to be (although no doubt those problems will be worked out eventually) and the high likelihood that Apple will still support the PPC software lines for years to come I was going to purchase a souped up iBook G4.

However, the graphics card is a let down for me (32MB video memory is no good) and I don't have the money to buy one of the more powerful ones.

I have a Linux based PC right now that has outstading specs and can do anything I need it too, but I am not going to be able to carry this thing around...

So, then I started considering one of the new iMac's, but that is also a desktop. Blah.

What should I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
sell the linux pc and buy a macbook pro or a powerbook.
just my 2 cents.. because you wont' really need the pc any more once you have a macbook or powerbook.

Reaction score
If Linux is working for you, then I would just get one of the 15.4in widescreen Compaq laptops with the 128mb X700 for under $100, then put Linux on it.

What field are you going into?

OP
M

moosegoose

Something involving art I know that much, even if it ranges from Architecture to Graphic design. I wouldn't have though architects would use Mac's because of AutoCAD or whatever not being supported although apparantly Mac's are huge in that field.

Anyways, I unfortunately don't have the time to devote to getting programs that will be required to run under Linux. I wonder whereabouts I could sell my desktop...

Reaction score
You can sell anything on Ebay.

I would wait will you get to school and know the specific programs you are going to be using for your curriculum. Just because Apple is sometimes seen as "better" at certain thing, doesn't necessarily mean a school will use it.

OP
M

moosegoose

True, but I know the school(s) use it because it says that they are heavily oriented in the Macintosh computers (it's a recommended for the programs).

How much do you think I could get for:

DFI Lan Party 250GB UT
AMD Athlon 3000+ 64-Bit (754)
1GB PC3200 Pqi
60 GB 7200 RPM HDD
256MB nvidia GeForce 6800 GT
16x DVD-Rom
48x CD-RW
Soundblaser Audigy 5.1

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.