• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Brings 1080p High Definition to New Apple TV

Reaction score
Apple Brings 1080p High Definition to New Apple TV

SAN FRANCISCOâ??March 7, 2012â??Apple® today announced the new Apple TV® featuring 1080p programming including iTunes® movies and TV shows, Netflix, Vimeo, photos and more in HD. With iTunes in the Cloud, customers can purchase and play their favorite movies and TV shows from the iTunes Store® and watch them instantly on their HD TV. The new Apple TV features a simpler, refined user interface making it easier than ever to access your purchased movies, TV shows and music with iTunes Matchâ?* right from iCloud®. With AirPlay®, users can stream or mirror their favorite content from their iPad® or iPhone® 4S to Apple TV.

â??People are going to love streaming movies and TV shows in 1080p with the new Apple TV, and photos look beautiful displayed at the maximum resolution of your TV,â?? said Philip Schiller, Appleâ??s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. â??Apple TV is easier than ever to use with its new icon-based interface and the ability to access your purchased movies, TV shows and music right from iCloud.â??

Apple TV users can choose from an incredible selection of programming including over 15,000 movies and over 90,000 TV episodes on the iTunes Store. Apple TV also offers great content from Netflixâ??s streaming catalog, live sports from MLB, NBA and NHL as well as Internet content from Vimeo, YouTube and Flickr.*

With iCloud, you can buy movies and TV shows on Apple TV and watch them on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch®, Mac® or PC. iCloud also stores photos and pushes them wirelessly to all your devices including your HD TV via Apple TV. iCloud provides an incredibly easy way to get instant access to all of your content, no matter which device is being used.

iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users can use AirPlay to stream music, photos and videos from their devices directly to their HD TV with Apple TV. iPhone 4S or iPad users can use AirPlay Mirroring to show the screen of their device right on their HD TV, allowing them to stream web pages, spreadsheets or even games.**

Apple TV makes it easy to enjoy iTunes video, music and photo libraries from your computer right on your HD TVâ??and with iCloud you can instantly enjoy content that was purchased on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch as well. iTunes Match customers can now play their entire music library from iCloudâ??even songs theyâ??ve imported from CDs. Users can also control Apple TV with their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch using the Remote app, available as a free download on the App Storeâ?¢ (www.itunes.com/appstore).

Pricing & Availability
Apple TV will be available on Friday, March 16 for a suggested retail price of $99 (US) through the Apple online store, Appleâ??s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. Apple TV requires iTunes 10.5 or later. Apple TV requires an 802.11g/n Wi-Fi network or Ethernet network, a broadband Internet connection and a HD TV capable of 1080p or 720p and an HDMI cable that is sold separately. iTunes movie and TV show availability varies by country. Second generation Apple TV users can install the new Apple TV user interface via a free software update, available today. Third generation Apple TV hardware is required to play 1080p video.

*Content availability varies by country and may require account subscriptions.

**AirPlay requires an iOS device running iOS 4.2 or later. AirPlay Mirroring not supported on original iPad.

Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices with iPad.

Press Contacts:
Jennifer Ramsay
Apple
[email protected]
(408) 862-2239

Christine Monaghan
Apple
[email protected]
(408) 974-8850

Read more

Reaction score
As nice as the new Apple TV sounds, I'm not buying one until they stop the political nonsense and let Hulu's app run on the device. Until then, I'm perfectly happy to keep my aged MacBook (with a curving battery :( ) hooked up to the TV to feed my shows.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
As nice as the new Apple TV sounds, I'm not buying one until they stop the political nonsense and let Hulu's app run on the device. Until then, I'm perfectly happy to keep my aged MacBook (with a curving battery :( ) hooked up to the TV to feed my shows.

Have you considered a Roku? I have one and I love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I assume this is a new device rather than a software upgrade to the AppleTV I bought last year?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I've had both of the previous ATVs. I'll probably buy the new one as well to replace my original ATV in my basement. Hulu+ sucks on a television conduit device (not computer). It's unfortunate that Hulu can't get the licensing stuff hammered out. Even plain old Hulu is great on a computer, but is so seriously neutered on content on a conduit device that it just makes me want to blind myself with a sharp chisel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

What he/she said. I considered an ATV until I opted for the Boxee. Haven't looked back, and I'm not confined to specific file types/formats.

Reaction score

Nope. Until now, I hadn't heard about a Roku (which means I should call their marketing department and make a pitch, lol)... It looks great though, and I think I'll be giving it a shot soon...

What he/she said. I considered an ATV until I opted for the Boxee. Haven't looked back, and I'm not confined to specific file types/formats.

I tried Boxee -- at least the software version -- and it kinda sucked. I found the UI to be hideous, and it also had problems working with Hulu (as did Plex). Mind you, I realize that problems with Hulu stem from Hulu locking them out, but that's irrelevant to me. I need a device that's going to work with all the services I use regularly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.