• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Using Toast - Trying to add menus to a disc with multiple DVDs??

Reaction score
So basically I want to put about 2-3 different movies on 1 disc with a menu screen to be able to choose between them.

Normally to cram multiple items on one disc I just use Visual Hub but it's just a little too simple even though you can add multiple items there's no menu to get through them. All you can really do is "skip" on your DVD player to get to the next item on the disc.

Normally the things I burn onto discs on AVI's and I usually just throw them into Toast and go for it but burning straight AVI's in Toast it messes up the ratios normally leaving me with images that are "zoomed in" on playback.

I also tried creating disc images with Toast and Visual Hub and combining those but the files are just way to large to put onto one disc.

So really I'm just looking for a way to add a menu screen to these multiple items without losing any (or too much) quality and messing up the ratios.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I'd suggest trying a program that's more geared toward authoring. I'm sure Toast can do what you're wanting (unfortunately, I don't have Toast on the Mac I'm at right this moment so I can't experiment) but you may want to take a look at something like MovieGate (DVD authoring package w/ transcoder/encoder) and use its built in menu builder. They do have a trial version so you don't have to buy it if it doesn't work out for you.

OP
JayZim17
Reaction score
Any idea why Toast messes up all the ratios on the AVI's like that?? It's fine in Visual Hub but I've always had a problem with Toast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, what are the dimensions of the source files? And what are the settings in toast? (ie: 16:9, 4:3, etc?)

OP
JayZim17
Reaction score
Not sure what the dimensions are on the files. But it happens to all AVI's I burn onto a DVD in Toast no matter what. How do I mess with the settings in toast? I tried before but couldn't seem to come up with anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.