• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DCR-TRV530 problems with IMAC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 27" IPhone 4 IPad 2
I am new to the mac world and just purchased the 9pin to 4pin cable today so that I could download my movies from my camera to imovie but this thing will not find the camera. I have tried multiple things like putting the mac to sleep and checking the connections, turning the camera to vcr mode and then starting the mac back up still no luck anyone help??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
What "thing" won't find the camera? The Mac or iMovie? One major difference between Mac and Windows is that on a Mac, it won't necessarily notify you when you plug a piece of equipment unless it needs to for some reason. It won't notify you of the camera being connected, but if it's a supported camera, iMovie should recognize it when you try to import footage...

I should note that I'm not guaranteeing it will work - there have been some people that have had problems with their camcorders on firewire with 10.6.x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
After hooking up the camera, and turning it on, check System Profiler to see is OS X is seeing the camera. I also, very recently, saw someone complain that their camera took several minutes to be seen. Although I thought that was a USB camera, not a Firewire one.

I've also seen people have issues connecting Firewire cameras to Firewire 800 ports on newer Macs. I don't know if this is common problem, or related to 10.6.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 27" IPhone 4 IPad 2
Camera

Sorry about not being specific, I meant that the mac nor imovie are recognizing the camera. I connect the camera with the firewire and then open imovie with no luck. I click on import from camera and it just shows the webcam and that is it. I left the camera connected for quite some time last night with no luck. I checked the System Profiler and the computer is not seeing the camera. Any help is greatly appreciated I do not want to buy a new camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
What about answers to the other things we've asked.

Do you know that the cable it good? Could it have a short? Does the camera require any setup when being connected to the computer? Is it in playback mode when connected?

There isn't any guarantee that anything we suggest can help. Especially if there is a problem with Apple's tool set up.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 27" IPhone 4 IPad 2
What about answers to the other things we've asked.

Do you know that the cable it good? Could it have a short? Does the camera require any setup when being connected to the computer? Is it in playback mode when connected?

There isn't any guarantee that anything we suggest can help. Especially if there is a problem with Apple's tool set up.

I just purchased the cable yesterday at my local Best Buy store. I searched Sony's website and could not find any required drivers or software for this camera when using a mac and I have the camera in playback/vcr mode.

I have a new IMAC purchased two weeks ago. So I guess it has the latest software

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.