RAM change

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
I am thinking of changing the amount of ram that I have, from 1 and 1 to 2 and 2 thus totaling 4 gb's of RAM. I have a pretty good idea how to install the hardware, but what I would like to know is once I install the hardware does the OS just recognize the new hardware and install that way or do I need some supplementary software to complete the process ???

thanks-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
If you have a MacBook Pro Core Duo as your profile suggests, it will only support 2 GB total RAM. MacBook Pros with Core 2 Duo chipsets support up to 3 GB RAM.

The new models released today are the only MacBook Pros that will support up to 4 GB RAM.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
you're right, i can only support a maximum of 3 gb ram... so should i just replace one of the 1 gig ram chips with a 2gig ram chip?? i have heard this may not run as smoothly???

ideas, !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Sure, it's better than what you have right now, I'm assuming. If you have the cash, go for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.