Hey Future iPad Owners!

Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you who ordered an iPad have an iPhone. If you do have an iPhone, why did you order the iPad?

I am asking this because I have an iPhone and a MBP, and like all Apple gadgets that are released, I got to get an iPad! But, then again, wouldn't it just a real gadget that I won't use that much?

Apple "convinced me" that I needed an iPhone (you know what I mean). So I bought an iPhone even tho I didn't need it. True! Then now, I don't know what I would do without my iPhone. I believe the same will happen with the iPad. I don't need one, but like ALL OF YOU I want to find good reasons that will justify my future purchase :Evil:

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I have an iPhone which I use all the time, plus a laptop (not Mac) which I never use. I also have a Kindle2 which I never use, although I use Kindle for iPhone every day.

I still want an iPad.

Logic tells me to wait until the Mark II comes out - as I did for the iPhone.

My heart says there is an Apple Shop 12 miles from my Office and the iPad comes out soon.

The Battle continues :D

C

chas_m

I've discussed these ideas in more detail in other threads, but yes I have an iPhone and yes I'll soon have an iPad.

The iPad, for me personally, will serve three important functions:

1. It will free me from having to sit at my workdesk all the time. I like to enjoy watching TV on the couch (for example) and having something large enough to easily read would allow me to check my email while the commercials are on (etc). I would probably also use it for reading before I go to bed, and similar uses. The iPhone's screen is a little small for such "relaxed" uses, at least to these middle-aged eyes.

2. It frees me from having to take a laptop with me every time I'm travelling. The iPhone is very useful in these situations too, but the iPad allows me to do more (an aspect that will continue to grow as time goes on). I just don't need to bring "a whole computer" with me every time I leave the house, but I often find myself doing that anyway. Its kind of bulky to lug everywhere, especially if you're on foot. The iPad fits easily in a knapsack or briefcase or satchel (et al) which means the laptop can stay home much more often than it does.

3. I give a lot of presentations, so I expect to use the iPad to hook up to a projector and run (as well as create) my slideshows using iWork. FAR less bulky than a laptop (and remember I'm already bringing a projector, so any less weight = good!).

I could think of a LOT more ways in which the iPad will be of service to me either immediately or in the future, but that's enough for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch/iPhone 3G
I was wondering how many of you who ordered an iPad have an iPhone. If you do have an iPhone, why did you order the iPad?

I am asking this because I have an iPhone and a MBP, and like all Apple gadgets that are released, I got to get an iPad! But, then again, wouldn't it just a real gadget that I won't use that much?

Apple "convinced me" that I needed an iPhone (you know what I mean). So I bought an iPhone even tho I didn't need it. True! Then now, I don't know what I would do without my iPhone. I believe the same will happen with the iPad. I don't need one, but like ALL OF YOU I want to find good reasons that will justify my future purchase :Evil:

Thanks!

Apps - I'm getting the iPad because the additional screen space will definitely help with some of the apps that I have on my iPhone. I sometimes need to see more data than the iPhone screen can show and it's a pain having to move back and forth.

Ebooks - I've done that on the iPhone and it's ok but when you can only see a paragraph or 2 at a time it doesn't always make for the most enjoyable experience.

Movies - I have a digital copy of "The Dark Knight" that I watched on my iPhone while I was traveling. It was nice to have the movie to watch but again the size limitation of the screen was an issue.

iWork - I'll be getting Pages & Keynote for the iPad. I used to have MobileMe and was able to access Pages docs I had created on my iMac but having to zoom in or move the page up and down because I couldn't see the whole document.

Web Browsing - Again the bigger screen will be great so that I'm not always having to zoom in or move the page up or down.

Gaming - Again that bigger screen will allow for more complex and detailed gaming experiences. Can't wait!!

Unknown uses - Finally who knows what products 3rd party developers will come up with. I can't wait to see what new things I can use it for that I wasn't even thinking of.

OP
V
Reaction score
Well, Thanks for the first ones who gave their opinion.

I have both the iPhone and the MBP.....the iPad would be more of a gadget than a real need lol.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have both the iPhone and the MBP.....the iPad would be more of a gadget than a real need lol.

Technically you could also consider your iPhone & MBP to be "gadgets" as well.

You really don't NEED an iPhone...in fact you could even survive without a cell phone. And having a laptop is nice...but again...not an absolute necessity.

I would agree that of the three devices (iPhone, MBP, and iPad)...the iPad probably adds the least amount of additional value. But like I've said in other iPad threads...we don't always buy electronic devices because of their added value...be buy them because they're cool & fun!!! :)

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
I would agree that of the three devices (iPhone, MBP, and iPad)...the iPad probably adds the least amount of additional value. But like I've said in other iPad threads...we don't always buy electronic devices because of their added value...be buy them because they're cool & fun!!! :)

- Nick

I would agree with that! :D

I heard that word "fun" 10 times on the iPad presentation...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
I've got an iPhone and a MacBook Pro. Yes I'll be getting an iPad on day one.....iBooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Who can vote for the last option since nobody "gotta ipad"?

OP
V
Reaction score
It seems that some of you are just like me: have the iPhone and the laptop but we still want a third Apple product in our gadget-shelf! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac , 24" iMac , MacBook Pro Unibody , Macbook Air , Macbook , and Mac Mini
I have an iPhone and ordered my 64gb 3g iPad on the 12th.

For me it's not an either or thing at all..I see different uses for both ,as well as some uses being shared.

I luv Apple "i" stuff and am a big gadget person anyways though,so that has a lot to do with it. lol

Reaction score
Ive got an iPhone, Ive got a MBP, Ive got an iTouch in my car for mp3s, Ive pre-ordered the iPad.

done.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I own an iPhone. It's a Phone and it fits in your pocket. The iPad is NOT a cell phone. Does not make Cell Phone calls.

I own both a Mac and Windows Laptop and Netbook. I hate the netbook. HORRIBLE keyboard and the resolution is uneven so some apps go way off the screen.

An iPad will be so much easier to tote around the house when I don't want to be tied to a computer but surf the net, chat, check email, even write a Document here and there. I will almost bet I will be able to type faster on the iPads On-Screen keyboard than my Netbooks. :D

Also the iPad would be great to take with me to keep in touch while at friends/Family's house's.

Reaction score
I own an iPhone. It's a Phone and it fits in your pocket. The iPad is NOT a cell phone. Does not make Cell Phone calls.

I own both a Mac and Windows Laptop and Netbook. I hate the netbook. HORRIBLE keyboard and the resolution is uneven so some apps go way off the screen.

An iPad will be so much easier to tote around the house when I don't want to be tied to a computer but surf the net, chat, check email, even write a Document here and there. I will almost bet I will be able to type faster on the iPads On-Screen keyboard than my Netbooks. :D

Also the iPad would be great to take with me to keep in touch while at friends/Family's house's.

the iPad is Microsoft Office compatible??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
iWork. iWork will be available for the iPad. I use iWork 99% of the time on OSX. It will read and save in DOC format also.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have iPhone (2ea me and my wife)
Laptop (Macbook and MBP, again me and the wife)
2 iPads on order (reason obvious from the above)

I very much look forward to reading the news, books and comic books on this -- makes me wish I had ordered the wifi only version.

OP
V
Reaction score
I have iPhone (2ea me and my wife)
Laptop (Macbook and MBP, again me and the wife)
2 iPads on order (reason obvious from the above)

I very much look forward to reading the news, books and comic books on this -- makes me wish I had ordered the wifi only version.

Reading books and comic books on the iPad will be awesome too! Have you seen the special iPad version of Panelfly? Looks awesome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
One of the main problems with my laptop (Win7) and netbook (XP) is that when I decide I want to use them I have to get them out of their case, open the clamshell, switch on, wait for the OS to load ...........

......... and then I have forgotten why I want to use them. :(

With the iPad, it will be remove from case, switch on, use. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.