Empire Total War for Mac

Reaction score
So last week Feral announced Empire Total War for mac, which was long awaited and incredibly awesome because I love the total war games and would much prefer to play them on a mac.

The only thing is, the system requirements say that it does not support a NVIDIA 9400 graphics card. I have an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, which I assume is sadly in the same category. Is this true? Is there any chance it would still run anyways, even on lower graphics settings? I suppose its time to upgrade, but probably won't happen for a little while.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to "Paulthetall" it works with the nVidia 9400 series. See this LINK. Also keep in mind that it's a port and needs a wrapper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 2.5 GHz i5
Having taken delivery of my iMac 2 weeks ago (first ever non-PC - and I cannot be more pleased), this was one of the few games series I play. It was a shame that I had to run boot camp and run it on Windows 7. However, saying that I have no issues with it and it runs great.

I was a bit wary of reading quite a few posts about Empire causing overheating of the graphics though, so I keep the video settings on medium.

Anyone had any of the overheating issues at all running this on an iMac?

Cheers
Jay

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Anyone had any of the overheating issues at all running this on an iMac?

I don't run that particular game, however, an iMac can run graphic intensive games and still stay fairly cool. The way the machine is built lends itself to good cooling. You'll notice cool air is drawn in at the bottom and warm air is exhausted from the top vents. Very efficient.

Download the free iStat Pro and monitor your iMac stats.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Ive played this game fine on a 9400 series card.

Reaction score
So last week Feral announced Empire Total War for mac, which was long awaited and incredibly awesome because I love the total war games and would much prefer to play them on a mac.

The only thing is, the system requirements say that it does not support a NVIDIA 9400 graphics card. I have an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, which I assume is sadly in the same category. Is this true? Is there any chance it would still run anyways, even on lower graphics settings? I suppose its time to upgrade, but probably won't happen for a little while.

The 9400M is a shared RAM card meaning it does not have any dedicated video RAM it just shares RAM with the CPU. It is not that powerful when it comes to gaming.

This is the major reason it is not on the provisional specifications is right now although the game might run on a 9400M is unlikely to give a smooth experience especially later in the game.

However if things change between now and the final specification being announced we will let you know.

We don't prevent users playing on under specification machines or on unsupported operating systems, the only reason we would disable a game from being loaded is if we know the game will hang or crash due to missing hardware or software features on your machine.

We believe minimum specification should not just mean the game runs but that the game runs and the game can be played all the way through (and Empire maps get huge near the end, so a good frame rate at the beginning does not mean you get a good one after unlocking the entire globe) without major performance issues. If the 9400M passes those tests then it will make the final spec, that's why it is called provisional :)

Edwin

Feral Interactive

Reaction score
If the 9400M passes those tests then it will make the final spec, that's why it is called provisional :)

The 9400M is supported in the final specification. As long as you meet all the other settings you can play fully supported on the 9400M.

Edwin

Reaction score
does anyone know how to get mods on Empire Total War? please help or how to script them

Reaction score
does anyone know how to get mods on Empire Total War? please help or how to script them

Some Mac users have gotten some mods working. Best way is to read the PC modding instructions and join an Empire modding community the Mac and PC game data is identical so modding the Mac data is very similar to modding the PC once you find the location of the data.

Our Facebook site has a few fans modding right now.

Good luck!

Edwin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.