iPhone 4 Video Chatting Apps?

Reaction score
So, I know that currently, the only way to video chat is via FaceTime from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 over wifi.

BUT, when will we start seeing other video chat apps? Will skype make use of the front facing camera for video calls over wifi??

Anyone know of any coming out soon??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Skype has stated that it will try and incorporate video chatting into its app, but as for when it'll happen, who knows.

OP
A
Reaction score
Ugghh! I don't know enough people who have an iPhone 4!! It's kind of ridiculous apple to not make video calling compatible with iChat.

C

chas_m

Ugghh! I don't know enough people who have an iPhone 4!! It's kind of ridiculous apple to not make video calling compatible with iChat.

Be patient, young padawan. FaceTime is coming to (at least some models of) Mac in due course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
I used the app KnockingVideo on my 3G S. Really cool video chat app that worked great just over 3G service but you had to use the back camera, meaning you could not see the other person while chatting but they could see you.

I have yet to try it w/ my iPhone 4, but I would guess it is not updated to incorporate the use of the front-facing camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor
We will begin to see more & more FaceTime devices this year, starting with the recently released iPhone 4 and hopefully by the end of the year, a FaceTime-capable iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have a feelingthat apple won't let free apps get to the marketplace to take over face time, unless it's an app that has a monthly fee, like skype.

OP
A
Reaction score
I have a feelingthat apple won't let free apps get to the marketplace to take over face time, unless it's an app that has a monthly fee, like skype.

Skype is free. Skype is so free, it's not even funny.

Anyway, where the **** is skype video calling from the iphone!?

I contacted Skype regarding this. Here's what I got:

Me: I just bought a new iPhone 4 and love the Skype chat/video call experience. When can I expect video calling to come to the iPhone 4??

We understand your concerns regarding our services. We will pass on the feature that you are requesting to our development team for consideration to potentially be included in a future release. However, implementing changes and creating new features can take some time which means that the suggestions you make today might not be available in the near future.Please be patient while we are working on improving our service to be better and more user friendly. We are sorry for any inconvenience. Should you need more assistance, feel free to contact us again; we will be glad to help. Regards, Anika, Skype Customer Service

Me: Do you know if this is a feature the Skype Team has been working on adding at all?

Skype: Thank you for contacting Skype Customer Service. Thank you for your reply. Please note that Skype has noted the demand for a video calling feature and it has been discussed to add such a feature to the Skype client for iPhone. If and when this will be is something we unfortunately cannot disclose. If you should have any more questions or problems, please do not hesitate to contact us. Kindest regards, Joerg, Skype Customer Support

Seriously, Skype needs to get on this. I don't mind if they start with video chat over wifi and add 3g later. i just want to be able to video chat with more people on my iphone. None of my friends have an iphone 4 :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Apple made Facetime an open standard so anyone can incorporate it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Apple made Facetime an open standard so anyone can incorporate it.

I'd be thrilled if they made a facetime desktop client that ran on a windows PC but that doesn't exist... yet. I'm just waiting for Skype because it's credible and popular.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Pro
They have a Chatroulette type App out now called "iChatr" its free

Not anymore - Apple pulled the app from the store due to users exposing themselves and given that Lord Job's has dictated that his closed virtual world and it's loyal subjects be infused with victorian era chastity, the chances of this app reappearing are slim to none.

Have to say though that the first time I showed somebody this app (at an Apple store no less), the first chat I got was somebody exposing his junk ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Fringe anyone? Haven't tried it myself, but heard some positive feedback and it works over 3G.

OP
A
Reaction score
Fringe anyone? Haven't tried it myself, but heard some positive feedback and it works over 3G.

There's no video chat for Fring.

Seriously, guys- this sucks. Where the I LOVE DANCING IN PINK DRESSES is video calling for the iphone skype app! The Skype app just got updated but still NO VIDEO CHATTING!!!

C

chas_m

I don't know how old you are, but you appear to be either:

a. extremely impatient
b. completely unaware of how complicated it is to write high-quality software
c. both

As stated above, you have video chatting. Right now. On your iPhone 4. Find a new friend on the interwebz that also has an iPhone 4 and then you can use FaceTime till Skype have finished doing what they need to do. They don't just pull code out of their rear ends, it takes REAL WORK and a LOT of time and money.

OP
A
Reaction score
I don't know how old you are, but you appear to be either:

a. extremely impatient
b. completely unaware of how complicated it is to write high-quality software
c. both

Then why has Fring (arguably a much smaller, less powerful company when compared to skype) been able to include code and include it in its app less than a month after the iphone 4 release?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
Not anymore - Apple pulled the app from the store due to users exposing themselves and given that Lord Job's has dictated that his closed virtual world and it's loyal subjects be infused with victorian era chastity, the chances of this app reappearing are slim to none.

Have to say though that the first time I showed somebody this app (at an Apple store no less), the first chat I got was somebody exposing his junk ;P

I wonder if Job will eventually pull MMS because of sexting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.