Overheating

Reaction score
I have heard many stories about macbook's overheating. Has anyone had this problem? or do you have a fan or something?

Reaction score
I have had my MBP since last March and have no problems of overheating. The fans kick on when needed. The fans usually kick on when I am doing lots of things in photoshop/illustrator.

Sometimes when the empty space by the touch pad gets hot I just close the lid and let it sleep for a while so it can cool down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Cube, Colour Classic G3
Some early models had heat problems but later versions don't overheat.

Both MacBook and MBPros have internal thermostatically-controlled fans so cooling is automatic.

Just make sure the 'Book sits on a hard surface to allow air to circulate around and underneath, not on a soft surface like a cushion or rug, and keep the exhaust vents (at the back) unobstructed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
My fans are running at:
Left 1998 rpm
Right 2008 rpm

Never heard them running though

Reaction score
I have smc fan control so I can adjust the speed of the fans if I notice the temperature rising. There have been a few times I noticed it overheating a little. Once I had to just turn it off and let it sit for a while, when I turned it back on it was fine, usually I just have to adjust fan speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I have smc fan control so I can adjust the speed of the fans if I notice the temperature rising. There have been a few times I noticed it overheating a little. Once I had to just turn it off and let it sit for a while, when I turned it back on it was fine, usually I just have to adjust fan speed.

the computer will adjust your fans automatically... if you are doing cpu/graphic intensive tasks, you computer may get a little hot. You should not have to turn your computer off because it is 'overheating'. The macbooks/macbook pros get pretty hot, it is nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
the computer will adjust your fans automatically... if you are doing cpu/graphic intensive tasks, you computer may get a little hot. You should not have to turn your computer off because it is 'overheating'. The macbooks/macbook pros get pretty hot, it is nothing to worry about.

I know they adjust automatically but I like to have a bit more control. Sometimes the computer feels really hot so I turn the fans up a bit more and it cools it down much faster.
The time I turned the computer off it seemed like it was getting dangerously overheated. It was over 70 degrees Celsius. The little green bar that tells the temp in Fan Control had turned red. I had adjusted fan settings and the temp wasn't going down so I turned it off just to be safe.

Reaction score
I agree with all of the above, also like to say the macbook pro being aluminum is a advantage, as metal is a good conductor of heat it means that the heat is pulled away from the cpu and areas that need to be cool, if your wanting to buy a macbook pro, id say go for it you will love it,

Reaction score
I just bought a macbook pro a month ago, and I seem to be having the overheating problem. The bottom of the case (the battery) and the bottom casing by the LCD screen get real hot... like you can barely put your hand on it!

Any ideas? Is this normal?

Reaction score
Bought mine on Nov 06', its fine aside from the little bump i get from the opening hatch and some heating problems from gaming (Warcraft 3, specifically DOTA). It can run up to 80 C for me, which is pretty hot, I often play two games and give it some cooldown time.

But aside from all that heat issues with MBP's should have dramatically gone down as well as other major ones. And also the lid is a little open which happens to everyone I think. Its weird and a little annoying but does not affect overall functionality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Mine is a year and a half old and gets very hot, and by that I mean egg frying hot - I can't hold my hand underneath it.

I bought a big fan and have it right next to my MBP with the latex keyboard protectoroff when I am burning a DVD or doing something that requires a lot ofpower.

I had no idea there are fans inside the laptop-is that a fact?

I'm surprised there's room.

Reaction score
Yeah there is, i think theres two fans, i was surpised as well, how they fit all that into wat it is them people at apple know there stuff lol,

Also to over people sayin that there laptop is 'overheating', and you knw this by putting your hand and feeling, thats the running temperature, for example like a car they have a running temperature and its not cold, but overheating in a car results in the engine stop working,

so if the macbook pro is 'overheating' then it will switch itself of as a precaution to stop it from destroying itself or causing danger,

Reaction score
i think it be funny if you got third degree burns from overheating ad apple had yet another class action suit...hehe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I know they adjust automatically but I like to have a bit more control. Sometimes the computer feels really hot so I turn the fans up a bit more and it cools it down much faster.
The time I turned the computer off it seemed like it was getting dangerously overheated. It was over 70 degrees Celsius. The little green bar that tells the temp in Fan Control had turned red. I had adjusted fan settings and the temp wasn't going down so I turned it off just to be safe.

70*C is fine...
mine goes over 80 if I am intensively using my computer (VMware fusion, Photoshop, games, etc...)

^ I hope that's true. :)
that is true ;)

Reaction score
70*C is fine...
mine goes over 80 if I am intensively using my computer (VMware fusion, Photoshop, games, etc...)

Ok but I still don't like having the temp go over 70. I wasn't really doing anything intensive at the time. Usually when I was playing a game it would only go up to around 60. You're not going to convince me not to use my fan control.

Reaction score
^ I hope that's true. :)

Yeah as said above it is, Its good that it is, so if ur laptop ever shuts itself down this is the main reason, and it is a very good feature as if it wasnt there apple would have a very big headache lol,

Again personal my i dont mind my laptop at those temperatures, as you dont really get people running about sayin there tvs hot, like new plasma screen tvs generate a lot of heat, i say the temperature in there is bout the same as the laptop, and thats without a fan lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok but I still don't like having the temp go over 70. I wasn't really doing anything intensive at the time. Usually when I was playing a game it would only go up to around 60. You're not going to convince me not to use my fan control.

In no way was I trying to convince you not to use SMC Fan Control. I use it myself. (I hate it too when my computer is running over 60.) I was just trying to say that running at 70*C-80*C is not going to destroy your computer. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.