Backing up and transferring to a new MacBook

Reaction score
I've got a Seagate 500gb external hard drive, which I bought when I had a PC. I formatted it to use with my Macbook and back up once every few days. I'm about to buy a Macbook Pro, if I use the external hard drive to transfer all the backed up stuff to the new Macbook, will it also transfer applications, or will it only transfer documents and photo's/music?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've got a Seagate 500gb external hard drive, which I bought when I had a PC. I formatted it to use with my Macbook and back up once every few days. I'm about to buy a Macbook Pro, if I use the external hard drive to transfer all the backed up stuff to the new Macbook, will it also transfer applications, or will it only transfer documents and photo's/music?

Absolutely. You can actually choose to use a Time Machine backup to migrate your data, apps and settings from during the set up process of the new machine. If you don't use Leopard on the old Macbook, you can use a SuperDuper backup to do the same thing.

This is exactly how I migrated from my old CD MBP to my new Penryn MBP. It was fairly seamless, aside from having to reinstall Parallels and Paragon NTFS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.