• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do I need to purchase a router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb
I'm really not good with networking related issues. I only have one desktop and one internet connection, and I only have one computer that I need to go on the internet.

I'm asking more from the standpoint of security. Aren't routers a good way of protecting your computer? I know that Macs are pretty secure as it is, but I just want to make sure that I take all the necessary precautions.

I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Since you have just a single computer it may not be necessary to have a router. However having a router make it difficult for the hackers/intruders to attack your system. The modern routers also come with built-in firewall which gives an extra protection. If you are concerned about the security, you may consider buying a one.

Reaction score
I would go with the mac software firewall first.
Since it isn't all that easy to hack Mac OS X, and since there haven't been any reports of a Mac being hacked illegally ever, a router might be a waste of money.

On the other hand, a router will definitely make it harder for a hacker, since it's a hardware wall between him and your computer.

It's really a hard decision. But IMHO, i think routers are only added luxury rather than necessity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.