more specific requirements from iMac v.s. Mac Pro

Reaction score
I have a dilemma for iMac v.s. Mac Pro

I am switching from PC to Mac. Unfortunatelly, because some of my programs run only on Mac (like AutoCadd), I will have to download Windows to it. I'm a beginner Architectural Designer and those are the programs I will be using:

-AutoCadd
-Rhinocoros 3D build + Maxwell rendering plug-in
-Photoshop
-Illustrator
-InDesign
-and few smaller design programs like sketch up etc.

Here is the trick: Some of those programs like AutoCadd, Photoshop, and Rhino, I may have to use simontanously, AND depending on a building material (concrete v.s. glass), Maxwell takes hours (50 hours for glass) to make a smooth, accurate rendering. So my computer may have to run for many hours at a time.

I also hope to expend the variety of programs as I grow as a designer.

In addition, I'll be burning and ripping CDs and do all the other everyday things that most people do.

I WON'T be playing games, or making videos... (at least I don't think that my job will require the latter any time soon...). I won't be doing much switching between Window and Mac, but some might be required.

I am not crazy about the idea of all-in-one iMac, and I usually replace my computers every 5 years or so, so expendability might be nice.

But I also don't want to go for 'overkill' if I don't need it.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go with the Mac Pro of your choice and give the iMac a miss. Mac Pros are more upgradeable regards hard drives, up to four, memory, graphic cards plus they do not use the minaturized superdrives which plagues iMacs and MacBooks. Just do a search of the forums.

Check out the Geekbench scores for say a mid 2010 3.2GHz Mac Pro and a mid 2010 3.2GHz iMac - 10,030 for the Mac Pro, 5,996 for the iMac.

OP
A
Reaction score
Awesome!

Thanks!

Now I have to figure out the number of cores, RAM, Hard drive size, etc. Sigh... =o/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahhh but that is the pleasurable part. Go for he best you can afford at the moment. When you set Windows up and running on the Mac Pro, make sure you download and update Microsoft Security Essentials on the Windows partition.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice. I'lll make sure to follow it. =)

I can afford, but don't really want to pay for much more than I need. The research is on...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do not forget if you are going to use the Mac Pro for business, keep all receipts etc for your accountant to claim depreciation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.