Gaming Question?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a MBP 15", and I have the 9400M and the 9600M GT graphics cards. This was just a question I was wondering about; If I play a game on low settings with the 9400M, and play the game on the same low setting with the 9600M GT, will I get better frame rates and performance as a result of playing it on the better card? Or does it not matter? Which would be more taxing on the system?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 13" macbook, 4th gen ipod touch
If you use the better card, and play on low settings, yes you will have better fps, and performance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Better frame rates are usually obtained with the better card. That's a given. And yes, the GT is going to work the system harder but that shouldn't be a problem. You might want to download this handy utility which keeps track of which card is being used and allows you to switch on the fly. LINK The app is free.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you both for the help.

As far as the gfxCardStatus goes, is it safe to use (probably a dumb question but I get paranoid lol). Like how can it override the forced log out that is needed to switch them normally?

Also, just as a side question, is it bad to have the laptop plugged in when playing a game? How much hotter degrees wise can this make it get?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The app I referred you to is safe to use. It just avoids having to reboot the machine to switch. No worries there.

As far as being on AC power when gaming, it won't matter. The machine is going to get hot regardless but that's normal. I suggest using a notebook stand whenever you're gaming or all the time. That will help to keep the machine a bit cooler and give you some protection from nasty spills at the same time.

OP
G
Reaction score
Alright thanks, that's good to know. I actually just received a Thermapak HeatShift cooling pad that I keep the computer on at all times now, so I think that helps bring it down a few degrees too.

Just as a side question: I got the IStat app and my "battery health" was at 98%, and then I played a game and exited and it went to 97% and seems like it stayed there. What exactly does battery health represent? And will it ever get above 97% again now? I find it hard to believe that it was at 98% the whole time and then the second I got the app it went down to 97% to stay, you know? And I've had the computer for probably about 8 or 9 months now (but only started gaming on it like a few weeks ago).

Thanks again for the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.