how do i clean trackball on mighty mouse??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 20" imac 2g ram.
this is my 3rd mighty mouse in a year. the trackball keeps messing up. it gets dirty and probably gunky on the inner gears. similar to pc mice with the old big mouse ball on the bottom. where i used to go in and clean off the wheels. is there anyway to open this thing up.

i love my mouse, but this ones only about a month old and its already acting up. or maybe i should start washing my hands before using my computer =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I went six months before cleaning it the first time. I just spray a paper towel with bleach and go at it. It will look like brand new when you're done.

Reaction score
I do two things:

I gently depress the ball and use a fine-point pick (like a mechanical pencil) to scrape out any gunk that might be accumulating around the edges.

I dip a Q-tip (sorry, cotton swab) into rubbing alcohol and roll the soaked tip against the trackball, making sure to coat the entire thing.

It won't work immediately, but if you let it dry, then press down and roll it around with some force, it should start working again.

OP
peat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 20" imac 2g ram.
cool, thanks. yea it doesnt look dirty lol. the cotton swab and alcohol worked for now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.