Best Way to Format Extern HD

Reaction score
I have an external hard drive that I want to use on both my macbook pro, and my PC. I need to be able to store some pretty large files on the drive, so I can't have restrictions on file size.

What is the best format to use?

I have macfuse and NTFS 3G installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If you have enabled your Mac to read and write to NTFS then I believe your best solution is to format the external HD on your Windows computer to NTFS. It's a lot easier for your Mac to read/write NTFS than it is the other way around.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think Endless is right.There is a procedure out there to format an external drive so that it has both NTFS and HFS+ partitions on the same drive but I think the NTFS only drive is a much cleaner option.

OP
T
Reaction score
I've actually decided to start using ExFat. The newest update to OS X, 10.6.5 just added support for ExFat on 11/10/2010, and Windows Vista/7 have native support for it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good choice. The Extended File Allocation Table format supports very large files and since SL 10.6.5 can read and write to it, you should be OK.

Take note though, that neither Vista nor Win 7 can be run on a drive formatted to the ExFAT file system although they can read/write to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.