Program for Mac to compress .bmp to .jpg without loss of quality???

Reaction score
I have a lot of pictures I'd like to upload to various places that are in the .bmp format. These places (for example, Photobucket and MySpace) only allow you to upload images in .jpg format. On Photobucket, if you upload an image with the .bmp extension, it converts it to .jpg - and cuts your quality in half. The images look awful.

Does anybody know of any programs for Mac 10.3.9 or lower that will allow you to convert from .bmp to .jpg with MINIMAL to NO loss of quality?

Thanks so much!

-M

Reaction score
When you do convert to JPG there is often an advanced setting which allows you to change the compression. I am not familiar with the program cradom mentioned, but you might look to see if that is one of the options when you do convert. The more compression the worse the image will likely look. Of course it will be bigger, but it should still be much smaller than a BMP, even with mimimum compression.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Does anybody know of any programs for Mac 10.3.9 or lower that will allow you to convert from .bmp to .jpg with MINIMAL to NO loss of quality?

GraphConv is good, but it is complex in some of its functions. Perhaps you could try AppleWorks Drawing. I've just run a test with a pic from Photobucket (R-click, Copy Image), pasted to AWD and then scaled by percent, Save As in JPEG format, best quality. The result is or nearly the same as the original, perhaps a bit faded.

You could also try iPhoto, with which you can enhance and modify.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
When you do convert to JPG there is often an advanced setting which allows you to change the compression. I am not familiar with the program cradom mentioned, but you might look to see if that is one of the options when you do convert. The more compression the worse the image will likely look. Of course it will be bigger, but it should still be much smaller than a BMP, even with mimimum compression.
sure, and regardless of how you do it as soon as you compress an image to jpg you lose quality.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.