Where do my web legal responsibilities end and begin?

Reaction score
My client owns a transportation company searching for new employees. He would like me to build an online job application webpage with fields to fill in and submit. He would also like permission from the potential candidates to do a background check and look at their past driving record.

Here’s the problem, he is looking to me to give him legal advice as to what you can and can’t do (regarding job applications) over the internet in the US and the state of Iowa.

I advised him I would look into it but my efforts are in vein. I would need to pay for legal council to find out what I can and can’t do. Plus I think it is not responsible for him to rely on his web designer for legal advice.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? Where do my responsibilities end and begin? How should I handle this?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
So now you are looking here for us to give you legal advice?

Contact a lawyer or have him contact a lawyer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
So now you are looking here for us to give you legal advice?

Contact a lawyer or have him contact a lawyer.

LOL! That really gave me a good laugh.. .not your answer to the OP, but :
I advised him I would look into it but my efforts are in vein. I would need to pay for legal council to find out what I can and can’t do. Plus I think it is not responsible for him to rely on his web designer for legal advice.

I mean... seriously? Priceless.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Do not touch this with a 10 ft pole.
You would be so open to legal problems yourself.

DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
Absolutely walk away. If the client does not know what the hiring laws govern, he shouldn't be running a business. HR rules and state laws are constantly changing and the "Business" needs to be on top of this. I agree with DavidH, it would open you up to potential legal issues.

IANAL but I am a web designer

Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I agree with the above, refuse all responsibility; and if the client insists, quit the job.

I know that sounds extreme, but if you don't you may well find yourself accused of being the Party At Fault in several confidentiality cases; and I don't know what the equivalent law(s) in America is/are, but I know here in Britain breaching the Data Protection Act can land you with something like a £10'000 fine and/or an absolute minimum of 6 months imprisonment per infringement. I imagine the penalties in America would be comparable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.